Seen this one Manny?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stephenwright, Jan 18, 2007.

1. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK
    http://shef.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215738335

"MANNY LAUREANO OF THE MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA IS GOD WALKING ON EARTH"

If that link didn't work forgive me and I'll find some other way of showing you the page. Manny's Facebook Fanclub!

Stephen

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Good grief...

Uh, thanks, Stephen... I think those are my kids from the youth symphony. Well, the fact is I love them, too. I chose not to go in... some things are best left unseen (by me).

Thanks... put a smile on my face early this morning.

ML

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I've joined it, I like the naming of the officers of the group as Monette instruments, pretty funny, haha.

4. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I joined as well.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You have certainly made one heck of an impression on them Manny!

I too; like the officers names. Dave Monette would get a kick out of it I think.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, I'm glad everyone's getting a kick out of my crazy kids. Like I said, I'm not joining because it's their thing and I think it would be less free for them if they thought I was lurking.

I'm posting this before I go see them for another dose of Stravinsky and I can hardly wait to get there. I'm having Osmo come in next week to work with them! I wish you could have seen their faces when I told them that, it was great. Kudos to Osmo... how many music directors of the major orchestras would do that with a bunch of high schoolers.

This is why these kids love the program... they never know what to expect.

ML

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You should have heard them today... they were awesome. Composer Steve Paulus dropped by unexpectedly to check them out. I introduced them to him and said "Would you like to hear them play the 'Danse Sacrale'?" he smiled and said "Sure...."

I turned to them and said "Well, let's go." They played with an accuracy and fury with which I've never heard them launch into a piece before. It was stunning. They were hungry and wanted to show off... they were amazing.

It made me think of a post I once saw on TH several years ago that chided a report about a High School youth orchestra director for programming Pictures at an Exhibition, saying it was too much to ask of young trumpeters. Rubbish. We played it last year and now this Stravinsky. They did beautifully.

Young people are capable of much and it's a pity they aren't challenged to do more. They have a resiliency that is inspiring and a desire to learn that is unquenchable. I wish you could all be there Feb. 11 to hear these young artists. You would be proud of them, as proud as I am.

ML

8. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I think it's interesting Manny how you said they were hungry and wanted to show off for the guests, I have noticed in my college jazz band that the urge to "show your wares" so to speak makes the excitement and the musicality go up a notch. For instance we had one of Maynard Fergusons former trumpet players attend a rehearsal when he was in Fayetteville doing a gig, the trumpet section froze initially but then when it was time to play it seemed like there was a little something extra there from just the normal rehearsals.

9. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK

Our university programmed Pictures last semester. It came under fire from me due to the fact that they wanted us to audition with "Samuel Goldenberg and Schmuyle" knowing full well that none of us had a Picc/Eb/D or ANYTHING apart from a Bb and could no way get one before the audition.

Stephen

10. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005