Seized Amado

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Edwindle, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Edwindle

Edwindle New Friend

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi there, had a search on Google and on the forum but couldn't find anything.

A few years ago I stopped playing brass band and haven't touched my Getzen Eterna since. In a couple of weeks I'm off to Huddersfield Uni to study music and being in brass band country I will probably start playing again. Today I got it out to clean it and found that the 3rd valve slide Amado water key is seized. I've soaked it in lukewarm water and put some valve oil on/in it but to no avail. Has anyone had any experience unsticking Amado water keys?

Thanks

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it's seized closed, a soak in oil and a firm push on the button should get it working. If it's seized open, pushing a straightened paper clip through the backside vent hole will usually free them up. if you decide to take it apart, make sure you don't let the circlip shoot off into space - you'll probably never find it.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    +1 what Dale said. That's a problem with Amados

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely.

If you are squeezing hard to push the button in, squeeze against the other end of the Amado NOT against the slide. Keep all the pressure contained in the amado otherwise it is possible to break the amado off the slide. Ask me how I know this:evil::evil::evil:

5. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    +1 for Dale, thats the best explanation possible, good luck!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Circlips are a "dime a dozen" available almost everywhere in all sizes, but they do have a tendency to spread or crack. If I were to work on Amado water outlets, I'd have a stock of ones of that size. Too, there are special spanner tools that make handling them easier. It is my experience that instruments that have been stored for long periods tend to lose satisfactory lubrication and seize.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Take the slide off and put a few drops of penetrating oil /PB Blaster in it so that it can be where condensation would be when you go to let it out, and let it sit for a few hours. Be careful not to get it on the outside. Every now and then tap the end button you push lightly with the back of a teaspoon to help the oil find its way in. It should loosen up.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Where are you from Edwindle, I have a friend who is a decent repair tech and a nice bloke who won't over charge

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Just want to add a couple of things. When oiling the "back side" of the Amado make sure the oil is going into the hole. I use a needle oiler and fill it from the inside out. Once you get it free you should disassemble it to clean it. Cotton swabs usually work okay, but the judicious use of a dental pick has also been necessary. You also need to clean the hole in the slide--an appropriately sized drill bit twirled in your fingers should do the trick. Finally, and most importantly--you now have a combination of various lubricants, and debris inside the Amado and slide, you don't want this in your valve body so clean the inside of the slide with soap and warm water, reassemble your Amado and you should be ready to go.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I take the whole amado apart. Safety pins to put in each hole in the c-clip....compress clip and lift out. The piston and spring will follow easily. Second way is to push the amado piston alternately from both directions with valve oil all over it ( safety pin thru the hole one one side and your finger pushing on the other side ).