Self practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hichez, May 26, 2011.

1. anotherhornter

anotherhornter New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    I'm going to a "junior college", and this semester I took "Introduction to Brass Instrument" which suited me. We met once a week, and the instructor would assign pieces based on our abilities, and give us advice here and there. There were also practice rooms available. A good way to keep musically active and earn a couple credits.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like this definition. The student/teacher "state" happens when both have their eyes and ears open. Let's not forget though that the school of hard knocks also issues diplomas.

I did have one teacher that during the relationship I considered to be "bad". Hindsight tells me that I wanted to be spoonfed during that time and nothing he could have done would have worked.

Even here, we must be careful that our "ideology" does not become self fulfilling. The best tip that I can give anyone is to find role models/teachers/mentors/friends/partners to join us on our personal paths in life, regardless if that is music, mountain bike riding, swimming, golfing, heck, anything. It is simply more fun that way.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND I will admit that it is not always a trumpet player that can inspire. If we LISTEN and WATCH we can notice anyone who is at the top of their instrument - whether that be voice, trumpet, or even a woodwind!!
    1 guy at church plays no fewer than 6 instruments (voice, keyboard, drums, harmonica, guitar/banjo, saxophone) and I would say very proficient at all of them. And the music ministry leader is (in my opinion) the best singer/keyboard player that I have ever heard.
    THEY are both very willing to share their experience and musical knowledge -- so they inspire and teach --- and everyone is better for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!