Self Study?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetseeker, Sep 23, 2012.

1. trumpetseeker

trumpetseeker New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Can one learn to play trumpet on his/own by using online or other sources different than having a teacher? Would you recommend some sources?

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You can. I did and now after 30 years I am having lessons to correct all the bad habits I taught myself.

You can get lessons online using Skype or FaceTime, which is what I'm doing.

If you have to teach yourself, because of cost etc., then I'd suggest getting a metronome and a tuner as you start learning.

tobylou8 and Cornyandy like this.
  3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You can teach yourself but I honestly wouldn't advise it. There are for me far too many pitfalls to think this is a good idea, to many little traps that turn into very bad technique, the most key being poor breathing technique, a distorted embouchure and flat fingers.

I know I harp on a little about the ills of the Brass Band in England but and although there are some very good things I will allude to a a problem I have seen with the "teaching" that can go on in that world. There is a feeling that technique is not the important thing and as long as the sound is cominging out that's all that counts. (My previous teacher was in both the Brass Band World and an Orchestral player and he shares this view) I have seen cornet players playing nice tunes that go nowhere because thier instrument is pointing at the floor. On person who asked me for a lesson ( I am quite honest about teaching beginners to about grade three before I pass them on In good shape to a new teacher) point blank refused to use correct fingering for a note haivng got away with it for 6 months in the brass band. They were actually switching fingers over the valves and using an alternate (I cant remember which fingers it was) There is some one in a band I know that plays with he mouthpiece tucked under the the top lip with her to lip almsot sneering and the mouth piece resating on the indside of the lip, and boy she can't keep a not in tune above C on the stave. One more example is the player in a Championshop Section Band who waves the from of her horn about and plays so far out of the side of her mouth I find it exhausting to just watch her. Then there is the thing I see more than anything "the overbite embouchre"

No I am not using this to have a go at brass banding but I often wonder just what these players would do with decent technique. It has stemmed from being shown a few basics in a developement band and then left to their own devices.

So by all means have a go at teaching yourself but be prepared to watch out for the pitfalls. My advice would be to have at least half a dozen lessons so you can be shown and told the basics and be given an idea of what to watch for.

Hope this helps

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Do yourself a favor and get a teacher for the first month or two (at least). Seriously.

Cornyandy likes this.
  5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Andy, if that girl plays in a Championship section band she would be no slouch!

At the end of the day it IS about the sound that comes out, and if the player can achieve that using 'different' fingers, technique or anything else to get that sound, then who are we to criticise?

I play in brass bands ( and an orchestra and a concert band ) and know which is the harder work. And while on the subject where else can kids be loaned an instrument and be given free lessons (in the UK) other than a brass band? The pros of brass bands far outweigh the cons. So please get over your prejudice. You sound like a front row player that has been asked to play 3rd cornet. Or even worse Baritone. ;-)

Back to the original poster, you can, but as others have said too, best not if it can be avoided.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Get a teacher if you can. It's the little things that they can help you with that make a world of difference. Knowing that you need to do something differently is easy. Figuring out how to make it happen is another story. I good teacher can show you HOW to get there is short order.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    God knows I love an honest man!!!
    Yes you can, but as Rapier said, bad habits will be missed, then practiced and reenforced. Nuance is something difficult to learn on ones own.

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Rapier

Free lessons leading to bad habits are as bad if not worse than no lessons at all. I have seen some of the loan instruments around bands and many are not worth playing. The girl in the Championship section band is good no doubt but I will always find her exhausting to watch. I have nothing against alternate fingerings provided the correct fingerings learnt first. and not used because of laziness.

It is my opinion lessons should be one to one not a group session as in many Brass Bands.

I do not agree that the pros of Brass Bands outweigh the cons that is my opinion and I will defend it.

Finally I was using the Brass Band World to illustrate the problems of self teaching and unguided playing not as a means to "dis" the brass band world. If I were doing that I would have just suggested a look at "The Mouthepiece" and the ridiculous politics on there.

My only problem with brass banding is that when you have to drive 60 odd miles (round trip) twice a week to play in one and are on a very low income it is personally non sustainable (and FYI I was on the front row and staying there). However I do have concerns when I see such obvious bad technique not being picked up on becaue people have not had private tutors at the start.

You may not believe it but I actually like the Brass Band Sound and have enjoyed playing and being part of that "special sound" however that is despite the things I see rather than because of them

Andrew

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The person teaching themselves has a fool for an instructor... no fooling.

Cornyandy likes this.
  10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Amen (is that allowed or is it religious)