Self Study?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetseeker, Sep 23, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It can be done, and it has been done .... to a high professional level. It's rare. Even if the student doesn't have a regular teacher, the ones who do well without are usually in contact with other players and pick up things from them.

Other instruments are commonly self-taught to the higher levels .... guitar comes to mind. I know a whole slew of excellent professionals who never had a lesson on guitar, and many of the biggest names didn't either. Bass, drums, vocals and a bunch of other instruments can be very successfully self-taught. Trumpet is not one of those. Lessons are pretty much a must.

Turtle

Cornyandy likes this.
  2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely! Like the solicitor who represents himself.

3. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I am 100% self taught. I think if a person is intelligent enough and really wants to learn, he or she can learn anything. It will probably take them much longer tho!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

But just think if that professional would have had a teacher. He would have been better. I know it. Teaching yourself limits your potential as the potential to excel is by listening and HEARING others. Isn't that what music is all about?

5. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Yes, but with a qualified teacher it's a lot faster. "The Ultra Trumpet Crash Course for Home Study", is a systematic/progressive 52 week course with Bill Knevitt as your private instructor. All lessons have an accompanying recording (mp3 download) narrated by Bill. The Book is $27 and the entire set of recordings is $50 or $1 ea. Read first Bill's "The Truth About How To Play Dbl.C On Trumpet. Bill's teaching are 100% Claude Gordon. If you want to learn on your own, this is the way. Materials found at: http://www.latorremusic.com

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Didn't imply you were not intelligent in my post.... In fact intellect may be your demise.

It's not how long it takes you to get there... its the level of excellence achieve when you are there [and if lucky you'll NEVER be there, because there should ALWAYS be an advancing, moving target]. By teaching yourself and teaching yourself ONLY (100% as you note) I know you have not achieved the level of excellence you could have otherwise achieved. I know it!!

Teach young minds (and aged minds mind you) as a university professor at the undergraduate and graduate level as I have done for 22 years now, and you will know what I mean when I say "I know it!!"

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Herbert L. Clarke was self taught. Unmatched level of excellence.
    Louis Armstrong was 95% self taught.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And just think how much better he could have been!!

Until he met King Oliver

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    2 out of how many? [​IMG]

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's fine. Just don't say "Amen brother, can I get a witne-e-e-e-e-e-essssss"???!!!