Self-teaching resources?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fortepiano, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wow!

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Rowuk, I'm in agreement with you. I was only noting temperature rising and suggesting another approach.

For what it's worth, the OP seems very much like I was at that age. With the exception that I was recognizing that I seemed to be at the top of those who had not had lessons, and noting the different strengths of those around me. It became apparent that those who had private lessons were better at "certain things" if you will that the group (a DCI horn-line from the '70's) didn't work on as a group.

If I hadn't gone into the military and subsequently put down the horn, I probably would have sought private lessons; who knows how that would have turned out. Oh well, can't turn back the clock.

To the OP, if you read my post, you will see that I did indeed make a recommendation - and that was that if you really want to make it into Bluecoats, the most likely avenue for success would be with a private teacher.

I'll leave it at that.

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Dizzy did not teach himself. He had a lot of teachers over the years. I would point you to his autobiography (To Be or Not to Bop) or Donald Maggin's excellent biography.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Originally Posted by trpt2345
    <<There are a few self-taught pros though.>>
    Name one. In the modern era, meaning alive today.
    ----------
    Name one? Every trumpet player you've ever heard is self taught. A teacher does not teach, they only facilitate.
    Only the individual can teach themselves. While its true we access alot via imitation both visually and auditory, those are only means for the information to get to the brain. I can have a trumpet teacher with the best information in the world and, looking like Megan Fox but even that won't put the info in my noggin. Only I can establish the neural connections necessary that will allow the rest of my body to conduct movement (yes, basically learning the trumpet boils down to learning movement). To learn movement requires training the brain with practice, practice and more practice.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    How do you discriminate between those who have an agenda and those who post wise universal advice?
    Do those whose advice you critizise possibly not fit your agenda?
    Questions...

I like open minded moderators.

;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bixel,
    as I have often posted, important stuff deserves more than casual attention. If you have no idea, you can't judge what is wise. Perhaps another argument for a teacher?

If we compare trumpet playing to life in general, important decisions are first made by our parents or guardians. As we grow up, we gain experience and our parents start to let go, allowing us to mature.

As far as open minds go, that is equally difficult. If you don't have any idea, you will never know if you are getting decent advice. If the inference is that I am not open minded, it could very well be that our definitions do not match.

Open minded in my opinion does not mean anything goes. Where I have had personal experience of failure (myself, students) due to the building of certain bad habits, it is not closed minded to say so. If you have spent a lifetime playing, teaching and researching the art of the trumpet, you have a wealth of information that can be passed on - as well as examples of where most mess up.

I maintain that internet advice from any source about any subject needs to be critically judged before running with it. There is simply too much BS flying around that seems to make sense to the casual eye. A recent example was sniffing, to get a bigger breath. Sounds harmless, we have more air than with our normal inhale and we all know that air is the secret. The problem is that too many players do not have relaxed neck muscles and vocal chords when playing. We hear that with a "grunt" while playing. That comes from inhaling, raising tension to hold the air in and then releasing to play. Teaching the student to inhale and IMMEDIATELY exhale, avoids this tension and most often cures the grunting. That means that for many without supervision, sniffing CAN be the invitation to more tension.

A comment that sniffing could be bad would be considered closed minded to those that have never seen or experienced the big picture - and the solution. In a monitored playing situation, it is no problem, alone the DIYer can really mess up their playing - by not knowing better.

So mister Bixel, I like open-minded posters too.

TM is a "free" resource where anybody can post just about anything. Often the moderator is the only one willing to take any heat for borderline stuff. We do the best we can and as volunteers, receive no money or other goodies for what we do.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Rowuk,
    this makes it that difficult to find a (very) good teacher:
    If you have no idea, you can't judge what (who) is wise.
    I see too many teachers beeing as helpful as being harmful - or even worse.
    Nevertheless: To take lessons from a (very) good teacher for sure is the best you can do.
    If this wasn't my belief I would not do my job as a trumpet teacher at a German university.

A good teacher to me is a wise teacher who answers the student's questions (and provokes questions) mentioning there could well be different answers than those given by the teacher himself.
    You have to make people curious, not to make them functioning.

There are various ways and concepts - in life and in trumpet playing.
    Some work for some individuals, some work for others.
    There is no need for drill.

Learning (and teaching) an instrument and learning music in general to me is not primarily about efficiency.
    It's about growing, the most independently possible.
    It is not about following the recipes of a (often self-complacent) teacher.

I'm not sure. All I can say is that some of your answers (to me) feel a bit "nastily".

If the inference is that I am not open minded, it could very well be that our definitions do not match.

;-)

Thank you (all) for that! I really appreciate it.
    For my person I have to say: it's not solely altruism that makes me post. It also is about curiousity, vanity, testosteron, humor and the wish to learn for both life and trumpet playing.

What are your motives for your volunteer moderator gig?

:roll:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh, Robin - you get our un-divided attention and our highest respect - true, it's not cash, but for some it's equally valuable. I am very deliberate in reading ALL your posts - I appreciate the value for me. Hmmmm, I guess I get more than you do, what can I offer but my heartfelt support and a little bit of (mostly twisted) humour.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    "We do the best we can and as volunteers, receive no money or other goodies for what we do"
    ----------------
    Other goodies? So we shouldn't have sent the 6 showgirls to your house as a way of saying thanks?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bixel,
    my motives are to provide solid guidance for self help (ROFL), to give back as much as has been freely given to me all of my playing life and to encourage TMers to THINK before posting. In addition, I really keep an eye out for things that do not meet the casual or inexperienced eye. This may be some of the "stronger" tone that you call "nastily". That tone in many cases is based on previous posts by the same member. Those looking for revenue at a trumpet site keep coming back with the same promises. If I have commented once, the second (third, fourth) time is in fact a bit stronger.

I don't think that you are closed minded or I would have said so. I hate BS.

You are in Germany, I am too. Maybe we could compare and share "notes" sometime. In what part of Germany do you live?