Self-teaching resources?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fortepiano, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, you can send the showgirls to my place, if you want.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I spent around 10 years teaching and playing in the Stuttgart area. The situation there was that there was some real bad teaching from a pedagogical standpoint, mostly found in the Posaunenchor and Musikverein; and even in the Musikschule. I got to play quite a few Bach Cantatas with one of Helmut Rilling's old trumpeters. As far as teaching the mechanics he was OK, but I learned all I know about German style from him.

There is no real good way of teaching style from a book, so the self-taught player can only hope to learn the mechanics.

When a teacher touts a book that uses words like and phrases like "only proven method," "never," "always" and such, I get suspicious. No two players are exactly alike.

My experience has been that a really good teacher can say the same thing over and over in a whole bunch of different ways until the student "gets it;" "the penny drops;" "aha moment," usw. If we have so many ways of describing "Satori" just think of all the ways there are to explain the esoteric mysteries involved with playing the trumpet!

I believe a good teacher is more important than a good method book.

In my case, I was asked to.

I have a pretty large repertoire of ways to describe playing the trumpet, as do the rest of the moderators and our Artists in Residence. Between us there is a pretty good storehouse of tried-and-true mainstream trumpet knowledge. We aren't here to sell stuff.

Regards.

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    This is the most stupid thing about trumpet playing I have ever heard. "only the individual can teach themselves"? What a pile of steaming nonsense. I can hear my estimable teachers laughing their butts off in the background. What arrogant nonsense.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a tough one as a true teaching requires interactivity. Both side give and take in a good learning situation. The best method will not give a brick wall even a decent C major scale. Yes, my teachers would also laugh their butts off. They all had techniques to keep me going - even through the tough times. They also had students that learned nothing and didn't even last a semester.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    To answer the original question:
    You make do with what you have.

I recommend Smart Music. Someone posted a link way back.
    Smart Music has exercises (sp?) and will listen to you and tell you when you make a mistake. It will tell you what your mistake was.

You won't get help with things like; "You missed the G because you went into the D before it too low" Or, "if you pull your slid a little on the A, when you go to the D, it wont sound so flat" It will help you though.

You can record your self and listen. You can email your recordings to the people on here that say you have to have a teacher and they can offer corrections. There is music on the screen. You might be able to print it, I'm not sure.

Smart Music is fairly cheep. There used to be a discount if you're a member of ITG. Maybe there still is.

6. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    So lucky you, there were teachers as you obviously dont (didn't) meet the conditions for self-teaching trumpet.
    That's okay.
    What - to me - is not okay is that you refuse to imagine that there may well be some people who meet those conditions.
    I fear you might lack fantasy.

I live in lower saxony.
    I anticipate no benefit to meet you in person.
    Maybe I lack fantasy...

;-)

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    VB,They're on there way. We FedEx'd them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't refuse to imagine that there are some that succeed with minimal outside help (I do know several). On the internet I just don't encourage behaviour that doesn't work "most" of the time. I am convinced after several years of TM that our members are a good representative mix of the real world.

I am playing in Detmold on the 24th of January. Music for 7 antiphonal trumpets and organ. I could demonstrate low impact......

As far as the teachers go, there are so many levels of communication and they determine if any message can be delivered and realized. Any relationship requires an investment from both sides and players that develop those skills have an additional tool in their box.

By the way, I still take lessons, from a trumpet player in his late 80s. He also gives me lessons over the telephone when we don't have an opportunity to get together in person. He knows my playing and even anticipates what I am going to do "wrong" before I even play. I really trust his ears. He really doesn't offer anything mechanical for my playing. It is primarily articulation, phrasing.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    2345 sez:
    This is the most stupid thing about trumpet playing I have ever heard. "only the individual can teach themselves"? What a pile of steaming nonsense. I can hear my estimable teachers laughing their butts off in the background. What arrogant nonsense.
    ----------
    During my time as a assistant professor of psychology at a major university who's duties included physiological psychology, behavioral research, I may have missed the chapter about how learning takes place. This leads me to ask:
    1)How do you think learning takes place?
    2)What makes my statement, arrogant nonsense?
    -------
    OK, I don't need to know how learning takes place, I've taught it for years. However, it is something you need to reflect on.
    "Learning is a relatively perminent change in the behavior of an organism due to experience".
    Do we live in a bubble? no. We access information when we want to or have to. A good teacher(facilitator) with a receptive student is the best of both worlds. Still, only the the student can teach their brains.
    What I read is heat and anger from your post. I read no logic, no support for your claims, just mean jabs without substance. If you don't understand how something works, that's OK. But saying something is stupid and nonsense without arming yourself with particular knowledge is the hallmark of a trait I wish to avoid.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  10. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Since the TM members obviously are a representative mix let's not discard minorities.
    You might have made the impression to some people that self-teaching trumpet is impossible.
    I hope you didn't mislead unexperienced people.
    Remember: you don't mark your convictions as personal points of view but as universal advice.
    This is not what moderators in my experience would do.
    Ever thought about switching to "artist in residence"?

I am playing in Frankfurt on February 4th and 5th. I could demonstrate obnoxious impact.

ROFL