Selling my Bach Strad Model 43 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bluenote89, Oct 12, 2013.

1. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I agree that everyone should have one. Unfortunately it will have to wait for me as i have a 68 silver flair on layaway with trumpettrader. Good luck on your auction.

2. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    I disagree. They are nice horns, only a fool would say otherwise, but my beef with the Strads is just they are over-rated. Everyone says "It's the best trumpet, it's the only trumpet you need, it's the only trumpet you can use in a college symphony, etc." I don't agree that it's the best horn or the essential horn or the all purpose horn. I got rid of mine because it was the worst trumpet in my possession. I don't have my beginner horn in my signature, but I prefer my King 601 to a Strad. and my Silver Flair kills all the Strad-users at my school. For the past 1 & 1/2 years I've owned my Strad, it was my baby and it was a good horn and it got me through my 1st 2 years of hs, but this Flair is going to take me farther in my playing than my Strad ever would have. This is just my opinion of the Strad: it's a good horn, but very over-rated and over-priced.

I do want to ask though, why do you say that everyone should have one?

3. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    First off there are far more strad options around, and you may feel the umi silver flair was better than a 37 you had, but to me there are better options in the strad line. The past few umi flairs i have played were quite stuffy and restrictive. I have come to love more open horns and bach has so many options. I can play a 180s72 with a 43 reverse pipe. It is way more free blowing and open sound than the umi silver flair could be.

Bach strads have become the quintessential standard in modern trumpets. It is what every other horn is compared to. I am not saying they are the best horns ever made, but it has become the most widely accepted standard.

4. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Kafele, Fantastic mass appeal sound in your music! I tell you if I could afford that horn," no matter what model it is", I would buy it for an investment. Right deal and your big time.

5. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Hey Kafele you mentioned other horns replacing this one, what are you using now?

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've had several over the years, and with one exception, they did not fully convince me. The one exception was the Strad Rotary C... and I would never have parted with it, but it was stolen from me in a concert hall dressing room... they even got the guy a few days later, but he had already sold off the horn to a Czech car boot sale dealer, and they are harder to investigate than the Higgs particle...

7. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    I realize that there are other options on the strad, I've played on like 5 different combos and for what it is, I can get another horn for half the cost (or less) than that of a Strad that is the same quality, and when I say that statement, the Silver Flair isn't the only horn that comes to my mind. The Flair is the horn that I chose to buy above all the other ones I've tried, but the other horns that come to my mind are Getzen's 590 Capri series, the Conn 52BSP, some of Yamaha's older horns, Bach's TR200 which is a Solid horn that is cheaper than a Strad with a sound quality that compares to one, and even some Jupiter horns as well. All these horns are solid and have great sounds, but does a Bach Strad really have a sound quality that warrants it being the price of two of these horns? In my mind, not even close. I respect your opinion about not liking the UMI Flairs, I'm just trying to put in my 2 cents on my beef with Bach.