Selling very early Schilke, Dominick Calicchio, Chicago Benge, GP Liberty

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by JayVee, Dec 30, 2016.

1. JayVee

JayVee New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    Hopefully this will not offend the collective wisdom here; I've been asked to sell these horns and am asking for guidance in pricing them: one of the first lacquer Schilkes serial #20x original lacquer 99%+ , a silver D.Calicchio ML 1B serial #171x, a LB Chicago Benge serial #161x, original lacquer 90%, and gold plated HN White Liberty serial# 9697x. It looks like I'll be posting these to ebay since that's the dominant marketplace for just about everything now. I'm not a trumpet player, more of a reeds and archtops kind of guy, so my working knowledge of these is limited. Thanks.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    These type of questions come up every now and then. Here are some suggestions.

1) The is what I used as a general guide for the value of a used horn. A used horn in very good condition, with original case in very good condition, is worth about half the price of the lowest price you would pay for a new horn of the same type. Obviously, for more rare horns, or horns in higher demand, this formula probably wouldn't work.

2) You can search eBay for completed sales of the horns you're trying to sell. Avoid looking at asking prices. Look at completed sales.

3) The simplest option is to just list the horns on eBay with a starting price of $0.01. Some might disagree, but whatever they sell for is probably what they're worth. And FWIW, there's a discussion right now on the oTHer site on how a low starting bid tends to attract more interest, and likely increases your chance of getting a higher sale price.

Mike

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have a shotgun that belonged to my father. It is a very rare, virtually one of a kind shotgun produced by the Winchester Custom Shop. It is so rare that some collectors are unaware of its existence and most have only ever heard of them. He had to have it appraised for insurance purposes shortly before he died, and the only valuation he got was it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and what you are willing to accept. He was told that it is so rare that it was impossible to fix a value. I personally think that appraiser was a wimp, but it sort of illustrates what you're into. The horns you list may be to rare to actually establish a price. I'm running into that problem with a very early New York Bach trumpet. You may be unable to find comparable horns on eBay so your only alternative may be to try to sell them and see what someone is willing to offer. You might try contacting The Horn Trader to see what he would offer to buy the horns for. There's a King/HB White site (H N White "Most Wanted" Page) that might help you on the Liberty. Just remember to double whatever they offer to determine what they will try to sell it for--you can't reasonable expect that much, maybe 25% less--but values on trumpets can fluctuate quickly. Hope this was a little help.

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    None of these horns are super rare. They all have a legitimate price. I would check ebay, trumpet master and trumpet Herald to get a rough idea of the value.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Josh Landress would be a good person to go to - he's had many similar horns in his shop. His consignment rates are good and he gets a lot of customers looking for vintage horns, so they would get some advertisement.