Selman C Trumpet????

Discussion in 'Horns' started by John Heckathorn, Jul 5, 2005.

1. John Heckathorn

John Heckathorn New Friend

Jun 9, 2005
  2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Lots of time scam-artist, like this one, will take a popular brand name, like "Selmer" and then change a few letters into "Selman", so that people who don't know much about instruments will buy it thinking it is Selmer, wich they have heard of before. They don't realize that they just bought some piece of crap horn made in China or India.

I've seen this done with "Celicio" also... "Calichio" imitations...

This is really qutie sad in this case, because on that Ebay page it is selling horns from a actual music store retailer. Normal people only screw people this bad over the internet, but you can actualy walk into their store and get the same screw-job... It's dissapointing in my oppinion that people would take advantage of people who don't know much yet, especial all these young musicians who go out and buy a cheap litle horn to learn on and hopefully advance into a talented musician and make this world a better place. But instead people choose to screw them...

Firestas'1 likes this.
  3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Pretty pathetic when someone who uses symbols of Christianity to give the impression that they're honest and upright and then makes these kinds of statements:

"This IS NOT one of those Cheap Imititations of the Selman!"

I'd bet the only kind of praying they do is pray that nobody catches them at their game.

We won't even speak about their spelling ability!

Firestas'1 likes this.
  4. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    I checked out this eBay seller (a-deal4u). They are a real piece of s**t.

Whenever someone leaves them negative feedback (and for good cause because they sell crap), this seller responds by leaving negative feedback for the person who legitimately complained about them, and LIES when he leaves the negative feedback. Example: when one defrauded buyer left neg feedback for a-deal4u, writing, "The worst Ebay experience I've ever had. Poor product, worse seller" in response, instead of taking steps to make things right, this seller a-deal4u responded by leaving negative feedback for the poor victim that was completely dishonest, writing: "Buyer Will Not Communicate - Terrible Just Terrible Buyer."

I find it awful that someone can exist and profit while doing harm to others. He has high overall feedback (8059) which makes him look good - until you do a little checking and see the 62 Negative marks he's gotten this past year alone.

I wonder what we can do about this...

Sincerely,

John Mohan

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hack into his system and infect him with VIRUSES!!!

Anyone any good at hacking?

On a more serious note, I really wish there was an easier way to get the word out and warn people about these bad ebay users. All of these cheap items that people are selling off as something else have very obvious warning signs to people like us who know about these things, but I just wish there was some way to get the word out to all the parents and new students who just want to find a decent entry model horn for a reasonable price... Theres alot of good things about this thing we call the internet (like that metronome Manny found a while ago). But the web is outbalenced with alot more evil than good.

6. Hairy James

Hairy James New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco
    You are right on!

7. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Selman is a good company with very decent lower priced instruments. I have bought 2 horns from them and I'm not dissappointed. Their instruments are great for students.

8. Euphoniumlord

Euphoniumlord New Friend

May 27, 2008
    But does it make a huge difference if the player is starting? I started playing euphonium on a 30 year old baritone that we had to weld back together! I am contemplating an alto horn right now for 85 bucks....

9. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Everything Selman is perfectly good for a beginner, but since you can play both the euphonium and the trumpet (and I will assume you are proficient in both), a student level alto would not be a good investment. Maybe find a Besson or something.
    Dillon's has a Besson and several Conn's used for under $600 right now. And If you have the money, it's about $1000 for a compensating alto.

10. Euphoniumlord

Euphoniumlord New Friend

May 27, 2008
    Well the thing is, I don't have the money. I basically have 150 bucks I made from a graduation gig last month besides my savings account. I can tell the difference between a good and bad horn (My YEP-321 euph is hard to play in tune with), but I wonder if it would make a difference.

HAHA! I can always buy it and if I don't like it resell it as a *REAL* Selman Eb Alto Horn! Do not buy cheap instruments! It is of the highest quality! Not an imititation! Pre-owned!

Last edited: May 27, 2008