Selmer Claude Gordon

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BobList, Apr 21, 2004.

1. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    Anyone play one of these horns? Know what they are about, any modifications that can be done?

Bob List

2. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    I had one about 15 years ago and really liked it. I liked it more than a CG Benge.

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Good horn. It's basically a copy of the Bach, sounds like one too. The fellow in my band that has one hasn't had any problems with it. The horn seems to be well built.

Bill

4. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Lee Loughnane in Chicago plays one and loves it.

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    The Selmer Claude Gordon Model is very lightweight - like the CG Benge but that is where the similarilty ends. The Selmer is a .470 bore. It's only similarity to a Bach is that it was made by some of the same employees.

It is responsive and free blowing with a lot of sizzle. It has not been a particularily popular horn with players. I would not buy one and modify it.
    Find a horn that better suits your playing style. If this horn is the right one then buy a CG Selmer.

Mike

6. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Interesting----the C Gordon that I hear every week doesn't have sizzle. It's got the dark, sonorous sound that Bachs' and some Bessons have. I also didn't find it to be all that lightweight, it seemed to be about the same as a Bach. Strad. To me, lightweight would be a Calicchio 1s/2 and the horn is noticeably heavier than that. Maybe the difference in sound is the player?

Bill

7. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    The current Claude Gordon website states that his horn weighs in at 27 oz. WITH the mouthpiece inserted! That's light, man! Bachs generally run around 2 1/2 lbs w/o the piece....BIG difference!

Butch

8. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Hmmmm, now you guys really have my curiousity up. We have practice on Tuesday, so I'll have to have a closer look at that horn. I know it didn't feel at all light, in fact my impression was that it was heavier and more solid than the Bach Strads that several members had. Did any other manufacturer make a Claude Gordon? Benge maybe?

Bill

9. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Hey W Scott...

Yes Benge originally made the CG model then CG moved to Selmer. The Selmer CG is very lightweight and .470 bore

10. graceffi

graceffi New Friend

Mar 16, 2005
    As you're talking 'bout this, I'd like to know: how can I identify if my Benge is a Claude Gordon model?

I've tried to see it on internet, but I've found contradictory information.

Could anyone help me?

It's a 1972 Benge, LA, 5, MLP

Very thanks

Reinaldo Graceffi - Brazil