Selmer concept, broken 3rd slide lug

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jupiter, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jupiter

jupiter New Friend

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm really happy with my Selmer Concept TT Bb trumpet, but the 3rd slide lug has broken off for the second time, which means the slide keeps dropping off and denting the bell. Selmer did upgrade the design recently but the upgraded one has now broken off now as well. Has anyone else had this problem?:dontknow:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the lug falls off, it was either not soldered correctly or gets beaten about too much. If Selmer changed it, it was a problem. If you are still under guarantee, you know what to do. If not, find a "better" technician that will solve the problem instead of applying bandaids.

Dave Monettes instruments do not have any lugs. They use an elastic string. Cheap and sonically neutral

3. jupiter

jupiter New Friend

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks for that Rowuk. Yes it's still in the guarantee period and will be making use of that.

I'm interested in the idea of being sonically neutral which you mention. Does that mean to say that the more complex 3rd slide retaining systems add unwanted aspects to the sound?

My 3rd slide is currently held back by a piece of string. Not good for a newish £1.5K instrument.

Jupiter