Selmer Deville finger button thread size

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Chuck Cox, Sep 21, 2012.

1. l'andorrano

l'andorrano New Friend

Sep 2, 2010
    Andorra
    It's a Bb natural, I mean it isn't a C with the extra slide? A DeVille Bb, might be a lovely instrument, I'd love to give it a hear. How'd you find it?

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I got the Selmer at a thrift store. It didn't have a C slide with it. It is also missing the bottom valve cap for the 1st valve, but, I play it anyway. I can post a picture later or maybe skype the sound to you. Andorra is on the border of France and Spain. Your English is very good.

3. l'andorrano

l'andorrano New Friend

Sep 2, 2010
    Andorra
    What a great find! This morning I had a great find, not quite as sensational as yours though. I bought a curiously shaped plastic recorder at a garage sale for 50 cents, and it is just great, a wonderful, sweet sounding instrument, very well tuned.

I'd love to see a picture of the DeVille, if you can get a chance to post one.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have a couple of bottom caps spare if you cannot find any, I got a set from a store in England but I thing they were their last set.

Regards, Stuart.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Trumpetplus, Do you know what a '50's or '60's Couesnon trumpet fingerbutton threads might be? The buttons have a Selmer-like styled angled sides...except for one button.
    I also bought a strange cornet..... 1930's Rare Vedet Pelison Grillard & Loiselect Paris France Cornet ... with the looped bell bow like the old Cavalier Conns. Both of my new acquisitions (or detriments) have mismatched buttons. The cornet SHOULD have "Getzen-like" octagonal buttons....

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Selmer for the last 50 years has used 4mm x 0.7 mm Metric on their Buttons, it would be possible Couesnon would be the same, my Buffet Crampon is.

Regards, Stuart.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Anybody have a Couesnon flugel at hand? I would bet with you that there is a goodly chance Couesnon matched Selmer's threads...If not, I have epoxy and am not afraid to use it.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sorry I don't have one to hand. I would go with Stumac - try a Yamaha button.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Resurrecting this old thread due to some interesting things I've found recently.

I have an ACB Doubler flugel. While I'm not trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, I have recently gotten the opportunity to look at this horn in detail next to a genuine Yamaha 631, which includes the finger buttons. (and FWIW, the horns are very, very similar)

The buttons from the Yamaha go right on the ACB doubler - they are the same size and thread pitch. Interestingly enough, the finger buttons from the Xeno do not fit, but the finger buttons from my Schilke do, which means that at the time that Yamaha 631 was made (it's a minimum of 16 years old because it is the same flugel I was issued when I first got to the Guard band in 2001 - it's probably 20-25 years old though) it was using a different thread size and pitch than they use now, unless the buttons for the flugels and trumpets were always different.

I'd like to put some different buttons on it - the ones that are there both look and feel cheap, which they undoubtedly are - but aside from Schilke buttons, which I don't really want because they are hexagonal, I don't know what I'd get.

10. Luciën

Luciën Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2012
    Netherlands
    Resurrecting an old thread:

Chuck, I wonder if you found the right fingerbuttons or ones that would do?

I have a friend with the same problem.