Selmer-Paris Concept TT

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dcstep, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I've taken the plunge and sold my Yamaha Z to replace it with the Selmer-Paris that I tried a couple of weeks ago at the DFW Trumpetfest.

The most noticeable characteristic of the TT is the resonance of the bell. It's loaded with beautiful overtones that the player clearly hears. It makes may Z seem dead in comparision.

Looking closely at the horn you'll see that it has an unusual system for bracing the bell. "TT" stands for Twin Tube, meaning that the leadpipe has an inner and outer tubing. The inner tubing is like most horns and the outer tubing is the size of most mouthpiece receivers. The outer tube both strenghtens the leadpipe and isolates the "real" leadpipe from bracing.

Unlike most trumpets, there's no brace between the 2d valve and the leadpipe. There's a minimal brace between the 2d valve and the bell. The braces between the bell and the leadpipe have small attachment flanges and the braces themselves are lighter than most horns, including my Yamaha Z. The attachment points are further forward on the bell than is typical, particularly for a reverse leadpipe horn. There's no brace between the 1st slide and the bell.

When you play this horn you immediately notice the resonance of the bell. Players that like the Schilke B1L will love this horn. Several people were struck by the lovely character of this horn at the DFW Trumpetfest.

Here are some other technicalities: the bore is .464", the bell is 5" with a pretty fast flare. The weight of the valve cluster and horn is heavy (in the Yamaha heavy sense, not Monette or Courtois Evolution sense). I'm guessing that the bell is "standard" weight, but the S-P web site doesn't really specify. It comes with standard and heavy caps. Mine is a nice gold lacquer finish with classic Selmer-Paris trim.

I heard this horn in a large sanctuary compared to several other top horns and noted it to have excellent projection. The overtones that you hear when playing it translate well into the room.

The intonation is excellent and it's very centered in all ranges.

Going from my Z to this large bore horn, I needed to move to a smaller backbore on my mouthpiece. I'm selling my GR66LX because it's just a big bear on this horn, after being fine with the Z.

I'd been looking around for a really resonant Schilke B1 and was considering a B1-L. I prefer this horn to the best of those horns that I've tried. I had also been considering upgrading from my Z to a V-Raptor, but those dreams were dashed and replaced with this horn. These are incredible horns. (No flames please, I'm just telling you where I was looking and where I ended up).

Quality of construction is excellent. The valves are absolutely the fastest, smoothest and quietest that I've ever experienced! Really!!

If you can find one to try, treat yourself. Brook Mays was asking $2,050. It lists for $2650. You might be able to do a little better, but apparently they're hard to find.

Never thought I'd like, much less own, a Selmer-Paris. Look at:

http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui22/cui22.htm

Ciao,

Dave

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I agree, I played one in raw brass right after they were released last year and I *almost* pulled the money out on the spot. It was a great playing horn. Congrats.
    -J

3. RSemar

RSemar New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    Omaha NE/St. Louis MO
    I recently purchased a used Concept TT from a pro shop called Thompson Music in Omaha. (Great place, definitely go if you're in Omaha) I got the Matte finish, and it looks almost a gorgeous as it plays. Simply the best horn in the price range. The twin tube construction and the bell resonance gives you a HUGE dynamic control. I agree with everything the original poster said. This horn is well worth $2100, fortunately I got mine used and heckled down to $1770. Always a good choice, heckling is...

4. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    I also recently puchased one that had the Charlie Melk treatment, This is the best horn in my collection as it comes alive when you play it and resonates with life.----Gar

5. LLAHEKIM1

LLAHEKIM1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Im buying a 1903M next month, but everything Ive read says it has a .461 bore....Are there different bores or or some of the above posts just mistaken?

6. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Mine is a .461 bore and all the specifications that are list are a .461--I love mine above my Benges and committees. Charlie Melk did the valves and Anderson did the silver and I bought it that way.---Gar

7. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    if i was in the market for a darker horn, i would definitly go for a Courtois Evo 2 or the TT. Great design.....although i have heard of many issues with soldier becoming detached inside the space between the double leadpipe....Anyways, geat horn if you have the air for a deep mouthpiece to go with it.

8. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Anybody know how the 900 TT stacks up? They have one at a local shop in matte finish for about $2k. Seems to play very nice. I couldn't find it anywhere else to price compare.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    I just got my Concept TT....and I have to agree...it's an absolutely great horn. I am not that advanced as a player, but I can really feel and hear the difference with this horn. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or because I am at the "honeymoon" stage, but I am so amazed at the wide range of dynamics I can play comfortably and seemingly effortlessly.

I have bought quite a few top of the line "pro" horns over the last few moths, and the TT is starting to be my favorite.

I got it from Dillons in a trade...it was a demo model. At first, the valves were just OK. After a couple of days, I gave it a complete Christmas cleaning. Once I put the horn back together, the valves were absolute LIGHTNING! Super-fast and responsive. I feel like a kid who has been driving for 3 months...and was given a Ferrari(so much power, but no driving skills!).

I love this horn...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  10. LLAHEKIM1

LLAHEKIM1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    OK, I finally picked up my Concept TT (Matte gold) from Peninsula Music in Palo Alto. OMG!!! The sound is absolutly amazing, and totally "Zings" in the upper register. Night and day from the Getzen 700 i had been playing on for years. Im not sure if its the rounder tuning slide, or the .461 lead pipe, but this horn requires alot of air. I had to switch my mouthpiece to a smaller throat just to stay afloat. Also, the matte gold really makes this horn stand out, it looks awsome. I LOVE THIS HORN!!!

If I was to complain, it would have to be because of the valves. They are very responsive, but the 3rd valve has been sticky ever since I picked her up. I paid $3200 and am VERY pleased with this monster of a horn!

:play:

Attached Files: