Selmer,paris,pre modified or K modified,

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Lucky paul, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Lucky paul

Lucky paul New Friend

Oct 24, 2016
    Valencia Spain
    Hi All,been thinking about a selmer,paris,nice horns,is better for a pre modified or K moded version,with or without the third trigger,
    some on here have said the k mods were not as good as the pre moded versions,i know theres an issue with the mouth pieces but can be got around,
    Any thoughts,and was the grand prix a far superior model,Help please,thanks all Paul

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Well...the way I see it, it is very much personal. Me for example, I like very much the TT leadpipe horns, which are not that "old". Others like the K modified. You need to have a go at them. We cannot tell you what shoes to wear, can we?

3. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Never played a Selmer I didn't like, but I am fond of my k-mod. Still, the best was a Sigma from just a few years ago. It's a subjective experience - what works is what works.

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Well I own a Selmer Paris made in 1952, definitely pre k-mod. I can tell you that the early Selmer is a great horn and plays and sounds like a dream, but I have never played a k-mod so I really can not comment, other than to say that I had a friend who played one and he seemed pretty happy with it.

5. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    Just got my Selmer Depose stamped 20 Trumpet 1955 which is was built during the early K-Mod era I think, but has the French reciever and is NOT a K-Mod and not a pre K-mod (grand prix).

I know many people have their opinions on the differences between the older and the K-Mod but unless you're talking about the pre war grand prixs without the tone ring on the bell "flare" area, the grand prixs and the K-Mods should play similarly, maybe the K-Mods have just a little more free blowing build in the leadpipe. Some people prefer the tighter resistant blow in the non-kmods and some prefer them to be a bit more "free blowing".

All I can say about my Selmer Paris 20, is that it is a unique creature, a complex sound all by itself and will scream if you push it, great valve slotting, intonation is great some notes 1 or 2 are a bit flat but it is really easy to adjust with the lips, no trumpet is perfect in that area.

6. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Sounds like the 20 is somewhat identical to the 21. Very responsive, and as you said, it will scream if you push it. In my case, if I play it when my lips are tired, it lets me know in a hurry. But I tell you, I love this horn.

7. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    It is probably identical, as my horn is a .456 bore but yours must be rarer becuase it was silverplated at the factory, really special trumpet, it's what I would truly call an "artist's horn". I agree, if my lips are tired, the notes will be somewhat stuffy. Must be played with focus and finnese!

8. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    About the only way to tell is to try both a K-mod and a pre K-mod. There will also be bore size variations, too. Neither is superior to the other.

My experience is mostly with the cornets, but I find that my medium bore K-mod plays more open than my pre-WWII, pre K-mod cornet, and they are the same bore size but the wrap is different.

9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Yeah I believe the silver plating may have something to do with the sound I am getting, too. That silver plating done at the factory must have been a real good job because there is hardly any sign of wear on my horn. I also understand that lead pipe is nickel and silver and it is clean as a whistle inside.