Selmer Paris Radial

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mchs3d, Sep 30, 2005.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Ok, here goes. I've had a Selmer Paris Radial 2 for the past 4 years. Great trumpet, I love playing on it, but I hardly ever find info on it. It took me a couple years just to figure out that the model is known as a "Radial 2" because valves 1 & 3 are tilted at a 2 degree angle from valve 2. Basically, what I know about is that Maurice Andre teamed up with Henri Selmer to create this trumpet sometime in the 1960s. That's about it. I've heeard from a number of accounts that Selmer Paris trumpets are very good trumpets, but I was wondering if any professionals know some background information on this mysterious trumpet. Thanks in advance!

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    bump :shock:

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    The Radial 2 was the successor to the K Modified and Maurice Andre was involved in the design. The valves were made to better match the natural path of the fingers when they push down on the valves. Selmer discovered that the shorter tubing between the valves had another effect. That was to improve intonation.

The Radials were great horns but for some reason they never enjoyed the popularity of the K Modified and I am not sure why.

Mike

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Great, thanks! I'll keep on playing it. :D