Selmer Paris radial

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 27, 2008.

1. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I am considering checking out a Selmer Paris radial for sale. The guy apparently got it from someone else as he does not know if it is a C75 or something else. The serial number is 55428 which places the horn around 1971-72. Any way to tell which model is it from the serial? He says it is in superb condition with no dings. I wonder if $700 is a good buy. Any ideas?

2. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    My Bb Radial (no marking on the leadpipe) is s/n 512XX and was built in January 1971 for the US market. My C Radial (marked on the leadpipe C75) is s/n 537XX and was built May 1975 for Europe. It also has flowery engraving on the bell, which the Bb doesn't.

A 55XXX would be really late Radial production. Selmer was hit and miss on marking the leadpipe of Radials with bore size - some years they didn't (like my 1971) and some years they did. It may have had to do with the market they were to be sold in, also.

Measure the bore size to see if it's a ML L or XL bore. The bore, finish, and valve condition are prime determiners for value. Mine play very well, and I've never found one that wasn't a keeper.

A ML Bb in good lacquer or silverplate is worth, at top end, $700 or so. A L bore or C horn are worth more. Pix would help, as would any markings on the horn.

3. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    The seller says there are no other markings other than the serial number. I am trying to get pics. Hard to say what it is.

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Definately wait for pictures, and see for yourself what kind of condition it's in. Feel free to post the pics here, we'll be happy to give you our impressions. The Radials were really cool horns, I'd love to get my hands on one and give it a play one of these days!

Good Luck!

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Radials are some amazing trumpets. I think the horns are grossly undervalued as they outplay most 2k horns out there.

6. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Sorry people... another comment of mine I probably would have wanted to rethink... HSO

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When person writes: "I think........" that sounds like an opinion to me. It is OK to extrapolate from the idea of undervalue to that of outplaying. Anyway, HSOtrumpet1, he got his point across to the OP and you are just nitpicking.
    veery

8. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, I guess you're right veery, it just struck me as being different the first time I read it :dontknow:...

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well said, HSOtrumpet. (the part about me being right :D )
    veery

10. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    It's on eBay for sale right now - item 290287363505.

Not mine, although I do have my C75 C Radial there for sale also. I'd still like to know if it's a LB or ML Bore. Same first valve saddle as my 1971 model, but the serial # is about 4,000 too high for 1971. Case doesn't look right - Selmer had those ugly green naugahyde cases then. Horn looks nice, though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009