Selmer Paris Sigma Tuning Slide Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimmie D, May 31, 2013.

1. Jimmie D

Jimmie D New Friend

Feb 26, 2011
    New Hampsihire
    I recently bought a Selmer Paris 1905 Sigma. I am having trouble with the main tuning slide leaking water. The Sigma tuning slide surfaces were polished and finished unlike the raw brass that I have on my other horns. The slides worked smoothly but seemed to be a looser fit than other horns. Are my Sigma slides typical for Selmer Paris trumpets or I do I have a lemon?

I have tried Giardinelli, Superslick and Hetman 5 tuning slide lubricants but they all leaked eventually. Hetman 7.5 worked the best. Can anyone recommend a tuning slide lubricant that would work better than what I have tried? Thanks, Jim

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I use lanolin on mine. No leakage. No complaints about the Sigma at all.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If your tuning slide legs are loose, they can be replaced at a relatively small cost, probably less than a hundred dollars.

You'll want to have one of the better-known shops do the work.

Tom

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Anhydrous lanolin. Used to be able to buy it packed in 35mm film cannisters at pharmacies dirt cheap. As long as the slide isn't moving by itself, the water leakage is not a huge issue. If air leaks, yeah.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    A good tech can expand the inner slides, if necessary, at a surprisingly nominal cost.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll second the usage of anhydrous lanolin which I can still buy at health food store here. Beyond that if there is a water leak, I'd wager there is also an air leak.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Several of my horns leak a little water from the top leg of the tuning slide, unless there are bubbles appearing or hissing it is of no consequence, the pressure is so low inside the horn that the water will maintain an airtight seal. One of these days I will get around to measuring it.

I have found the Lanolin my repairer has given me (he has a 20 litre drum of it) to be temperature sensitive, goes hard in the cold and soft in the heat. I use an Ampol Red grease on the tuning slide, 1lb tin $0.45 40 years ago. It will see me out.

Regards, Stuart.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Easily done for free. Grab a trombone mouthpiece, insert into the slide and pound gently. Ta-da!

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'd prefer to have more of the slide expanded to distribute potential wear to a larger area than just flaring the end would do. I would think that the result of flaring the end with a trombone mouthpiece would eventually either be thinning of the tubing at that spot, or that the fix wouldn't last long. There also might be a chance that the flared end might dig into the outer slide, scratching it since there would be less support along the rest of the slide, and the slide would be cocked ever so slightly. Yes, we're considering very small measurements, but the principles still apply.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    So... then... just get the slide tubes replaced!

Not all that difficult...

Tom