Selmer Paris Sigma Tuning Slide Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimmie D, May 31, 2013.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It's still cheaper to expand in the first place.

2. Jimmie D

Jimmie D New Friend

Feb 26, 2011
    New Hampsihire
    Based on what I described and the comments received I am wondering if I could have received a trumpet that that is sub quality? The Sigma tuning slide surfaces were polished and appeared to have a lacquer finish, the slides worked smoothly with the thin lubricant that was applied by the factory but seemed to be a looser fit than other horns and leaked some water which was corrected with a lube change except for the main tuning slide. I am wondering if my Sigma slides are typical for Selmer Paris trumpets (Sigma, Concept TT, 80J)? If my Sigma is not up to Selmer standards I am still under warranty and would try to find a U.S. Selmer contact. Considering the list price of the trumpet and Selmer Paris's reputation I expected high quality. Thanks for the input, Jim

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Beside the Sigma I now have, I have also owned a late model Concept TT. I could not find fault with either one, so if your slides are loose, you should contact Conn-Selmer. Mine came with a Selmer mouthpiece (the TT came with a Bach mp), but there was also some Conn-Selmer-Bach literature. Even though discontinued they should stand behind it.

It may be easier to have a tech tighten things up. They expand more than just the end of the tubing.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the list price. Those prices were so high that they were absurd ($3600-5500), and what you likely paid for yours (mine was ~$1500) is indicative of where the wholesale prices were set. If they'd used a more reasonable MSRP maybe they'd still be in the trumpet biz. I think for the price I paid, the horn I got is FANTASTIC. I did switch to the anhy. lanolin though because of some water issues on the tuning slide. I don't consider this a fault, really.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My thinking is when you're forced to have a tech expand the tubing that there is a change in intonation albeit minute. Yeah, anhydrous lanolin is a biggee with me also. Don't blame me if my hands are callous free and smoother than my wife's.

5. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Had this done to my old courtois worth every cent.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ivan's gonna love that!!!!! ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Very gently?