Selmer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Jan 12, 2011.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    after ordering my Selmer Concet TT the other day I find out Selmer have stopped making brass instruments, anyone know why? will this have any affect on my new trumpet say if it goes wrong.....

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Where did you get that info and how certain are you that it is accurate? Does that include saxophones? Selmer draws a sizeable portion of their business from brass instruments, especially if you include saxes. I saw nothing to corroborate the info on their web site, you should probably give them a call to verify, I'm sure they'll have someone speaking English for you.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    It seems that reedy is right about his obsevation :-(

[​IMG]

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Don't be too sure:-?

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    so how come?

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yes, it seems Reedy is right… I've found on some french and belgian forums that Selmer has stopped any production of brass instruments. But they go on making woodwinds, clarinets and saxophones.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The answer to something like this is usually that they can't make a profit at it any more and any goodwill they might have in continuing the line wouldn't help them make money either.

It's all money. If they can't make any, then there's no point.

Tom

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My music shop in Bordeaux confirms : no more trumpets nor cornets etc… at Selmer's since 1.1.2011. They continue only with clarinets and saxes !

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, that's sad in a way. However there are plenty of Selmer horns floating about, particularly K-Modifieds which are still IMO quite undervalued for what they are.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I can't recall ever playing a BAD Selmer. I haven't tried the newer ones, but I have played several K-Mods, Balanced, Grand Prix, etc... They all sounded great had good projection and played well. Another icon gone by the wayside