Semi Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jon Kratzer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    This can be moved to lounge if it's necessary.

I'm a little hurt, or I guess the better word would be confused. When did it become okay to openly disrespect artists? I recently played a gig with Frankie V, and it was a blast. I like to share my joy with others and promote live music whenever and where ever I can, but this week just seems to be a bad one. I actually had a conversation with another trumpet player who will remain anonymous as to avoid the drama, and he/she had nothing but negative things to say. It may just be me, but I love all musicians, even though I don't agree with everything they say, I still respect and support them.

I'm doing my best to make a living at trumpet, and so far it's been good to me. I've taken one thing that was said to me by Allen Vizzutti to heart very closely these past couple of years, "Jon, it's important to be a good player, and equally as important to be a good person." This is probably the best advice anyone has given me. So why is it so hard to do this, are so many trumpet players right about it? I just wanted to get it off my chest! Be nice to people. If you have criticism at least make it constructive not destructive. I'm not targeting anyone on here with this post, I just felt like it needed to be said. The trumpet community is so small, it's really crazy how many people know eachother.

I've made some stupid mistakes in my past, but I've had to grow up pretty fast and realise without our fellow musicians we really don't have much out there. You never know who's around the corner listening when you say things. We all say controversial things, and things that we regret, and it follows you around, you may not even realise it until it's time for you to get a job playing somewhere...

Jon

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I follow the lead of my personal idol Dr. Clark Terry, who is the nicest man I've ever met. No matter what he thinks of the situation he's always positive and a true gentleman.

I also believe that these forums allow people to go under false names to openly attack other players. Why? We are all "brothers" in an extremely small scene. Just because player "x" has fame, awards, or gigs that you don't doesn't mean that you can hide behind a fake name and bash them.

I let my horn do the talking in cases where fellow players openly bash others. That's not the spirit of the music. Take the high road Jon, keep shedding, and if they offend you in the future set an example of class. Stay out of those shark infested waters!

Best,

t

3. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Jon,

One of my mentors said the same words to me. When I was in college, my teacher, Dan Patrylak told me to be a great player and an even better person.

In my travels in the professional world I have found that the better the performer the nicer the person. The people who had more "destructive" criticism seemed to be less confident in their playing. Does this warrant a separate thread?

I know I am painting with a broad brush but I have to agree-"being a great person as well as a great player" was one of the best pieces of advice Mr. Patrylak instilled in me. I try to pass this advice along to my students.

Hang in there Jon.

Ken

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here's the problem Jon.

The first part of this quote can be taught to just about anyone. The second part is something that only the person can do. And let's face it some people are just terrible people.

This is the same for any cross section of society. I've learned over time to "brush" off anything that someone says that makes me feel like you describe. This too takes a lifetime to learn how to do!

Hang in there! Anyone who's making a living at what they truly love and have passion for has my utmost respect.

John

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Many things can creep into our psychies.... some people can handle it better than others, I guess. Still, I understand where you are coming from. I too, enjoy hearing and working other players. It doesn't matter if they are better than me (which I truly enjoy) or whatever. Music is the passion. Some people are just dark human beings. Still... you will work with all kinds. Enjoy the fun times... muddle through the others, knowing you still had a great time.

Frankie V? You mean, Valli? A very nice gig...great folks on the road with him. He is terrific...a perfectionist...but terrific. It is a fun show, for sure. Done it several times.

On the flip side...I think some can be a little more thick skinned. I notice some people seem to only want feedback if it is in the form of glowing praise. Aren't folks allowed to have an opinion any more, even if that opinion is not as favorable? Total bashing in a negative sense certainly isn't called for. Still, some people are too thin skinned to take "any" criticism - well intentioned or not. There is true, constructive criticism. Meant in the sincerest spirit of helping someone grow. I mean, did all of our teachers just shower us with praise no matter how we sounded? Surely not... They may not have been demeaning, but certainly told us when we were doing something incorrectly - then put us on the proper path...

Back to the original intention of the thread...another story someone told me:

They had asked a top studio musician what it took - how good did you have to be to work in the industry and do studio work? Their reply was, "Can you play half notes?"...meaning most of the work they did was not super difficult (kind of like that Doc Severinsen saying about playing in the "CASH" register). Sure, you had to be able to play. But just as important, you needed to show up - on time and be a good person to work with. Not an ego maniac. There are plenty of great players out there that simply won't get as much work as others, because of their crummy attitudes and difficulty to work with. Perhaps the person you played with on that gig is one of those people. Maybe not now...but eventually, no matter "how" good they are, people get tired of the B.S.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Good advice T. Speaking from much experience and getting bashed all of the time simply because I do not have testicles - take the high road, keep your wits and your class about you, and the sharks will eventually starve themselves or feed on each other.

I also have NO RESPECT for folks who do not post under their real identities, or make their identity known, when criticizing others. They are COWARDS not deserving of any one's time.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I don't know Lex, you have more klutches (Belgian?)than a lot of guys I know.

Especially the anonymous wimps, "Drive-by Posters".

-cw-

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I HAVE to share this quote with you guys because it is says it all.

Back in 1993 I had my first lesson with Charlie Geyer and he asked with whom I studied. When I got to Leon Rapier's name, he said, "Ah! Now that is a man who proves you don't have to be an a$$hole to be a principal trumpet player."

Not the most eloquent way to say it, but 'nuff said. ;-)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks CW......I think. ;-)

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, You know what I meant!

-cw-