Semi Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jon Kratzer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Rgr that,
    Good posts. I am a "young gun" and have said things in the past that I ought not have. It does catch up with oneself. I used to be pessimistic about things and people too. Such a sad way to live now that I've changed (and still workin' on it.)

That being said... Did you hear about XXXX ... just kidding, lol. It's hard to take the high road, but I sure do like the view better up here.

2. brett wall

brett wall New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Nashville TN
    My Father was a paramedic and my Grandfather was a firefighter... I learned to not judge from them.

After all, they met every new person on likely the worst day of their life.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Working years ago on the AFM's pre-negotiation Phonograph Record Labor Agreement, I had a chance to work (not playing) with some of the finest studio musicians from all over the country. They were all fine, down-to earth people.

Not everybody is like that, however, and if we compare ourselves to the NFL, we'll find the same sort of trash-talk and professionalism side by side. Here at TM the trash-talk isn't taken too seriously, and that's kinda way cool.

4. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you all for being supportive. It's good to see this community feels the same way. I really don't take things like that to heart too seriously, but this one just got me.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Especially VB's trash talk, because only a few people know what he's talking about!

:bleah:

-cw-

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Something that I have noticed is that the VERY best players don't need to have the ego that goes with it. They don't need to tell everyone else how good they are - their playing does the talking and it is clear to everyone that they are THAT good.

Go to an ITG conference and the very best guys there are the ones who are happy to chat to just about anybody, it is those who are a rung or two down the ladder who have the serious ego problems - they feel the need to prove that they are good and in doing so merely prove that they may be able to play trumpet quite well, but they are also jerks of the highest order.
    These can usually be found attempting a double C at a volume greater than anyone else in the vicinity.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We had a thread on arrogance, and worth quoting perhaps is:
    "Vulgano Brothers are so good they don't need to be arrogant.":cool:

8. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I don't go to Trumpet Festivals usually for that reason. It's not that I think I'm better than those guys, I just can't handle the headache that comes with 500 out of tunes "dubba's Cb/C/C#" lol. I enjoy my instrument and playing it so much that it just pains be to be around people who can't be good sports. I'm not the worlds greatest anything, but my heart is in it and I'm making an honest living. Sometimes it's hard on the wallet, but that doesn't bother me.

I've got a few projects in the works, a legit album and a jazz album. I hope to get them released as soon as possible. In the meantime I'm going to relax, and continue to love what I do.

Maybe one of these days I'll get enough guts to come to an ITG festival. I didn't even go the year I got the young artist award.

Thanks for all of your support, you guys are all top class.

Jon

9. DLoeffler

DLoeffler Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Columbia, South Carolina
    About a year and a half ago, Greg Wing gave a clinic at the Uni of South Carolina. The first statement out of his mouth was (this is the idea but not the exact quote):

The music business is not about music. It is about people. You must treat people nicely and with respect.

I think most if not all professionals will agree with this. Greg went on to state that every job he ever got (Tom Jones, Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas for many years, Buddy Rich, Paul Anka, just some of them) was due to word of mouth - NOT his ability to play. Greg said the conversation usually started by someone asking if someone knew of a lead player. The next question was is he a good guy. The THIRD question - Can he play? Why is this? It is because people don't want to work with jerks, or as my son says "moorbombs".

Trumpetmike also hit the nail on the head - The players that are really good are also REALLY great people and will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime about anything. And, are also willing to help and give advice if it is asked for. The ones that are a couple rungs down the ladder - well, let's just say that we all know of or have experienced these types and they are not really pleasant to be around.

So, to get back to the original idea of this topic - I don't know why people feel a need to bash players and also equipment. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves or helps them get out of bed in the morning. I don't know nor will I ever understand.

10. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jon,

Great to see you're being honest on these posts... here's another tidbit of advice:

1. Music is not a competition, it's a conversation. The ones that make it an "graded event or competition" at sessions and recitals really should be avoided. One of the things I loved about hosting the ITG jam the first night at last year's conference was that I felt it didn't get too much into a "trumpet fest"... cats could jump up on stage and state what they needed say musically. I was really happy in terms of that. No one had to play 400 choruses or a trippa q to prove their worth. Please!

2. There's ALWAYS going to be someone "better" than you. The reason for the quotes is simple... while it's not a competition perhaps player X knows more tunes, can transpose more efficiently, plays with more solid intonation, interacts with the rhythm section more efficently etc.

YOU CAN ALWAYS learn from these players. After my lesson with Hal Crook today (arguably the greatest mind in improvisation) I realize I haven't even begun to learn! wow!

Back to shedding!

-T

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007