Semi Rant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jon Kratzer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I was recently the victim of some off-list private messages from someone who was briefly (and evidently no longer) a member. He refused to identify himself, said he was responsible for me getting into grad school because he decided not to attend, for his audition was (according to him) far better than anyone else's. There are sore losers all over the place. And I reiterate what others say, if you are the best player in the world but are also an abrasive asshole who no one likes, you will never work. There's a guy here in town who is one of the best musicians I've ever heard, I mean just unbelievably awesome, (not trumpet) who is so bitter, hostile, and weird that no one will hire him any more. And he sits at home and rails about lesser players getting all the work, but there's no one at fault but himself. Music unlike some other arts is impossible to do by oneself. A writer can sit in a room alone and write, a painter or sculptor can work by him or her self, but a dancer or a musician needs to work with others and if you can't play nice with the other kids, ain't nothin' gonna happen.

Michael McLaughlin

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    When you hear criticism, it usually stems from insecurity.

3. DLoeffler

DLoeffler Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Columbia, South Carolina
    There used to be a guy in town here and he sounds exactly like the guy that trpt2345 described. He is/was a good player (he left town and I don't know if he is still playing). However, no one would call him because no one wanted to put up with him.

That is the unfortunate reality for these players.

Plus, word travels fast to the point that even when someone needed a player, this guy was not called because no one wanted to deal with him.

4. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Trent, I bet that lesson was killer! I'm not concerned either way about what people are saying about my playing when they're not out there working. Everyone has something to say about Wynton, Maynard(R.I.P.), Arturo, ad nauseum, but how many of the guys being so critical are actually out there working? Not too many. My birthday is coming this month, I think I'm going to drive down to Miami and hang at Arturo's club for a spell and listen and enjoy the guys making music, maybe even play some.

Trent I've still been waiting on your drummer to send me that tune, he kind of dropped off the face of planet earth, any idea what's going on?

Jon

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I have mentioned a few times a jam session I used to go to in Nyack, NY, where I was far from the best player. But the guys who were the bst to show up, like our own Paul Tynan (he was visiting his in-laws who lived nearby)and Duane Eubanks were always the most unfailingly supportive of a work in progress kind of player like myself. It not only helped my playing and self esteem, but was a valuable lesson in how a pro acts.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Every time someone smiles when Botti plays, the critics lose.

Every time a kid gets inspired to practice after hearing Maynard, the critics lose.

Every time a kid stands in line to get Wynton's autograph, the critics lose.

Every time someone absentmindedly whistles "Spanish Flea" while working, the critics lose.

That's why unconstructive critics are losers.

ML

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA

amen amen amen.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anyone not shining a light to point the way for others has some serious issues to deal with first!
    You don't have to be a Maynard to light a fire or instill the right attitude - I had a music teacher in high school, his name is Mitch Haverly, who did more for me than any concert, record, Cd did. I am eternally grateful for everything I learned from those "unknown giants", wherever they may be!
    Let YOUR light shine brightly - you never know who might need it!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  9. Jim Kot

Jim Kot New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    Prudenville, Mi.
    Re. Semi Rant:
    All of these opinions are absolutly the truth. I know for me some of the most remembered people that I have worked for were the performers that treaterd us with kindness. As a result they are the ones that are remembered . ( professional professinals)