Senior recital in 3 weeks... advice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    FYI, I am playing the following:

Plog - 10 Concert Duets for Trumpet... just I and IV.
    Clarke - Carnival of Venice (not the Arban)
    Antheil - Sonata for Trumpet
    Arutunian - Concerto for Trumpet and Piano

Water bottle prepared... be hydrated beforehand, too... play lightly 3-4 days prior.... know my mute changes.... position the stand properly... communicate with the pianist... know the pieces...

Any other advice is appreciated. I hope for maximum efficiency to not only make it through it, but to relish the joy of playing music the whole time.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Above all else.....Relax, and have fun with it!

3. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Remember, auditioners rarely like to do what they are doing, and generally they are doing it because there is a vacancy that needs filled. Duh, right? Yes, but the point is that they are as anxious for you to succeed as you are. Really, it's a job interview; I've conducted many and hated every one, yhoping it will be the last and that the person before me has the right stuff...

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Stay positive if something goes wonky on you... don't make the stink eye and look dejected. If you have a postitive vibe that will come through to your listeners.

5. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Nice selections. Played the Arutunian for my senior rectial myself. Great piece. Relax and have fun. Presumably by now, you have done all of the work and are as ready as you can possibly be. This is about you, you are the star, go out there, shine and accept the inevitable adoration that is your due. When you walk out onto the stage own it. It is yours, all the people in the audience ARE there to see YOU. Love it, embrace it and bask in the limelight. Best of luck.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Have you played the whole program in just the same fashion and amount of time as you will at the performance? Maybe I should not be asking this question at this point. But I programmed the Hummel, several brass quintet things with me on first, and the Kennan Sonata. I didn't have any common sense (there is still some debate about that today) and didn't play the whole program until my jury. I should have known better, and for sure my trumpet instructor should have known better. Got half way through the 3rd movement of the Kennan and ran out of gas. What a bad experience that was.

coolerdave likes this.
  7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Sorry that is so negative a view, but I thought I should ask. On the bright side, I had a great time at my grad. recital.

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks for the pieces of advice.

I have not yet played through it all.... I do have a dress rehearsal coming up in 5 days, though.

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Had my dress rehearsal 3 days ago. Went much better than I thought. I was toast during the Arutunian cadenza and had to take the last part of it down an octave. (I think I'll prepare to cut out that E-G lip slur part if I have to). Just need to make sure I prepare the page turns better (the Antheil Sonata has three AWFUL page turns) Oh, and I need to remember to acknowledge the accompanist, which I was fretting about previously, also, yet I -STILL- forgot to do it. :-)

I was worried, esp. since I never found the chance to run through all 4 mvts of the Antheil Sonata. And my chops are BAD. I think I made it through because I don't believe my "fortes" were very loud compared to what a pro would do. I don't think I'll change that, though, haha.

10. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    A little late now, but my trumpet teacher always wanted me to be able to get through the entire program twice. That way, you know you can get through it once. It's all part of the preparation phase. Just something to keep in mind in the future.