Sentimental daughter's trumpet restoration finally finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Don's Daughter, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Don's Daughter

Don's Daughter New Friend

Nov 21, 2012
    Almost one year ago, many kind folks here helped me identify my deceased father's old trumpet and suggested sources for restoration. From what I can gather, the Conn trumpet was made in 1932 or 1933 and has a rimless bell. It was dad's favorite trumpet and used in the RCA Columbia Recording Studios. It has a very low serial number and beautiful art deco etchings on the bell. The trumpet was in truly abysmal condition and I really questioned whether it could be restored. Attached please find the finished product mounted in a custom-made shadowbox. Unfortunately, the light in the piano room where it hangs isn't the best for photos. Charles Hargett at Kanstul was great to work with, and they did a miraculous job making the trumpet look almost brand new. The art deco etchings on the bell looking stunning! The trumpet's slides are also fully functional and I don't doubt that the trumpet could be played again. I can hardly believe it is the same instrument! I think dad would be thrilled :)

The gentleman who made the shadowbox is local but will custom make almost anything your heart desires and ship it out. He constructed my box in the exact dimensions I asked with beautifully mitered corners, custom trim, velvet backing, brass interior corners, etc. The box was stained with a custom blend to match my hardwood floors perfectly. He constructed the box so that the back is mounted on a hinge so that the trumpet can be easily removed. If anyone would like to contact him, his name is Tom Kelly and his e-mail address is [email protected].

Now, it's time for me to personalize the project by adding pictures and old mementos on the black velvet behind the trumpet.

A big "thank you" to everyone here who graciously contributed to the process. Christmas came early for me this year!

Attached Files:

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Beautiful. Nice to see a great old horn, and the man who played it, honored like this.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It kills me to see it in a box bolted to the wall! That horn needs to be played!

4. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    I understand your perspective, Jiarby -- However, this trumpet is one of the only tangible things I have that reminds me of great memories of my dad. It is mounted above my piano to give me inspiration. I do believe that one day I will gift it to the right musician at the right time.

5. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hello DDI,

Indeed the horn is beautiful and the persentation will astound everyone that gets to seeit. It doesn't't sound like you play, but I think your dad would really like to hear you having some fun making music with it. :-)

Merry Christmas
    Rick

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We all have trumpets that don't get much use - I certainly have.

I love the acknowledgement of your Dad's passion and the respect you have paid to him and the instrument of his joy. I completely understand the need to keep this all on display.

Maybe you could pick up another trumpet and have a blow.

7. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks, RRVancil! Perhaps one day I'll give it a blow!

8. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks tedh1951 -- maybe one day .....

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Hey, better this 48B sit in the display case... than get sold as a student horn for $75 at the local music store!

(For those who didn't see it, I picked a 48B off the wall of the local music store as a student horn for... $75.)

Tom

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Looks great. I would flip it around though, so you see all the slide tubes, instead of the back of the trumpet.