Sentimental daughter's trumpet restoration finally finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Don's Daughter, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Don's Daughter

Don's Daughter New Friend

Nov 21, 2012
    Interesting you should mention that Brekelefuw. I was thinking I might flip it around .......

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Trumpeters know NOT to lay a trumpet on it's right side - the 2nd valve slide - (that little tubular do-hickey that sticks out of the middle valve) is subject to damage, and a REAL trumpeter wishes to keep it pristine. Please no offence intended - I'm just blown away by the display - that frame is worth the money though - lovely.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    j i a r b y
    @
    g m a i l
    dot
    com

LOL!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, at least it isn't hanging on a wall in some restaurant with nails through the bell, or converted to a lamp... ;-)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    DD, that's a wonderful tribute to your Dad - he's smiling down from above. :-) Out of curiosity, (and I can understand if you'd prefer to remain anonymous) who was your Dad? Being a studio musician in the RCA Studios is pretty danged cool IMO - it would be neat to know who he was.

6. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks trickg. My dad's name was Don Weller and he used to play with all the big bands. He had offers to play everywhere but instead he chose to raise a family in Chicago. In his mind, being a traveling musician was not conducive to being the kind of father he wanted to be. So, he worked in the steel mills during the day and played with the big bands when they came to Chicago. Although I deeply appreciate the sacrifice he made for us kids, I really wish he would have fulfilled his true passion. Nevertheless, I have to believe today dad is playing a trumpet made of solid gold with more joy than ever before :)

7. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    Funny, Dale! Part of the reason I mounted it "backwards" was because you can see the beautiful art deco carvings on the bell better this way.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That makes sense. My favorite picture of my Bach cornet is from the "wrong" side, too, because the fancy engraving shows up much better.

9. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    I second the post from trickg.... what a great way to pay tribute and respects to your dad. Don's Daughter, you did well. JA

10. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Great looking display, restoration, and tribute to your dad. From the pics, it looks like a Conn 40a Cornet. The 48B had a wider wrap, and the 40B had an under-slung 3rd slide ring. The cornet did not. Regardless, nice looking setup.