Sentimental daughter's trumpet restoration finally finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Don's Daughter, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    She's a beauty!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Love it.

Nice story, and tribute to your Dad.

Congrats

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    DD, You have done a beautiful thing. We here appreciate your story more than words can express. It is obvious that your dad was not only a world class player but also a world class father to raise such a daughter as you. Most of us here know how hard it is to do both, be a musician and a parent and it seems that he had his head screwed on straight to do both.

As for the horn on display question..Dont sweat the fact that its not being played, Ive said it before, musical instruments have a soul. Your trumpet was lucky enough to have met up with your dad and the had a great run. Now it sleeps till some day when another chapter is written in its life. You did a fabulous job of honoring them both. Best wishes.

4. Don's Daughter

Don's Daughter New Friend

Nov 21, 2012
    Larry Tscharner -- Thank you for your generous, kind words. Have a truly beautiful holiday season :)

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I have to agree, as touching and heartfelt as this story is, (and don't take it the wrong way, I really do think what you did is extremely thoughtful and I commend you for that) it really breaks my heart to see it sitting on a wall, after all the work that's been done to it to be as good a trumpet as it possibly could be. The valves and slides will get stuck, it will eventually red rot, and your money will have been somewhat Ill spent. Just my opinion, no disrespect to you or your father.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That is a thing of beauty and I do like the sentiment but for me I would call it Schrodinger's Trumpet now. I do love the idea of a touching memorial to your late father it isn't the way I would have done it but to each their own

coolerdave likes this.
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It certainly is a beautiful memorial ... I would recommend, if it isn't too much trouble, to have a local music shop or musician show you how to oil the valves and lube the slides. Perhaps blow a little valve oil down the lead pipe as well. Once a month would be great but once every couple of months probably would do. You spent all that money to have it restored so might as well keep it in playing condition.... just in case :)

Cornyandy likes this.
  8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Nice job and excellent decision on displaying it in such a nice manner. You will (and already have) hear a variety of opinions that horns are meant to be played (similar argument comes out over classic cars). Unless you or a well-trusted family member plays, you've done the right thing.

9. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    That's helpful, coolerdave! Thank you!

10. Don's Daughter

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks mgcoleman -- I have little doubt that one day I will give the trumpet away when the right person crosses my path. Until then, I'm keeping a part of my dad close by :) In my mind, it's not something to be sold for any amount of money :)