Sentimental daughter's trumpet restoration finally finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Don's Daughter, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Oil/grease it with synthetic products and you probably won't have to do it again. Regular valve oil will evaporate after a short time and things will eventually get stuck unless it's kept oiled. Synthetic lasts for years and years.

I hope my daughter keeps one of my horns after I'm gone. While I probably don't have the stature in the trumpet world your Dad had, it would still be nice to be remembered with a memorial like you did. I think my old Civil War era cornet would do nicely...I can't imagine anyone wanting to play that thing after I'm gone, anyway...:lol:

2. Don's Daughter

Don's Daughter New Friend

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, Dale Proctor!

If I could be so bold, I might suggest you make sure some photos are taken of you playing your trumpet for posterity. Also, one of my most treasured possessions are some cassette tapes my dad recorded while he was just fooling around and practicing. Hearing his voice in between songs is absolutely priceless. I'm sure your loved ones would treasure whatever mementos you leave behind :)

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks. Yeah, there are numerous photos of my playing the Civil War horn, and our band has made 5 CDs, been in a movie and a PBS special, and played on a couple of Ken Burns' soundtracks. I have copies of all those, too. I also have a few recordings and pictures of the British-style brass band I play in, so the bases should be covered pretty well. Maybe when I'm finished with the Civil War shtick, I'll have a nice display case built for it like you did for your Dad's trumpet.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I have a self-recorded 78RPM record of my grandfather playing some selections from Clarke Characteristic Exercises. Absolutely fascinating. He wasn't that good of a player, but he loved playing.

Tom

5. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Who was your father, if you don't mind revealing that?

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Check post #16 for this information.