Sergei Nakariakov

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Lo, May 8, 2005.

1. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Hi all!

Last night I went to watch Sergei Nakariakov perform with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. It was really good and a great experience since I've never went to the orchestra before. Sergei played Haydn's trumpet concerto and Shostakovich's piano and trumpet concerto. He was extremely clear and effortless. It was amazing! He had such a powerful sound without even looking uncomfortable. Sergei contained such a vast sound that captured everyone. The only thing which I didn't like was that he only played the two songs! I was really hoping to hear more from him. Is this normal? The piano player, Ignat Solzhenitsyn, played an encore and Sergei never showed up again! Oh well, still a great concert.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Lo,

It sounds like you are a younger player who had a marvelous experience hearing a great player performing repertoire that's pretty new for you. Very exciting!

The Haydn concerto is an important piece for us (trumpeters) because Haydn was a major, important composer of his time. You may have been expecting a piece with a lot more fast and high notes, etc. After all, Sergei has made a career out of being able to play pieces like that with great ease. It's only one of the reasons that so many people enjoy his artistry.

The Haydn and Shostakovitch concertos, however are a little different. Yes, they require a player to have very solid technique but both pieces also require a player to understand phrasing and a kind of musicality that takes a long time to develop.

I encourage to find good CD's of both pieces. Why? Because you'll find that the more you hear both works, you'll grow to really love them and others like them. The tunes become quite familiar and "catchy"! As you develop, you'll also find that you'll be asked to play the Haydn concerto and later, the Shostakovitch if you get really good.

I envy you! I didn't get to hear those pieces live until I was quite a bit older. And you can say something I can't: that you got to hear the wonderful Mr. Nakariakov in person playing those pieces.

ML

3. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Thanks for your wisdom!

I'm sorry my post came across that way. I love the Haydn concerto! I've heard so many versions of it and love to see how everyone interprets it. One of my favourites is the Wynton version. I was not as enthusastic towards the Shostakovitch concerto though. I like the intricacy of the piece and the lightness with which Sergei played, but, wanted something more of a trumpet solo! lol.

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I also saw Sergei with the TSO, but on Thursday evening. Sergei played a bit from the Carnival of Venice for the encore. I am guessing that the programming was from the orchestra as the evening revolved around Haydn vs. modern works. I see that Sergei is playing more of the difficult pieces he is known for in May and June in Germany (according to his website).

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I saw him last night as well. Very good playing.

The most interesting thing was he was playing a Bb trumpet and if I didn't see it with my own eyes I would have put money down that he was playing Eb. It was so light, compact, and bright. Then, when he played the Shostakovich he had a really nice bright-but-broad sound I associate with C trumpet.

6. Bryan_sop_trumpet

Bryan_sop_trumpet New Friend

Jan 22, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    I saw him do the same program in London with the Moscow Virtuosi. I hoped that he would play more too, but what he did play was pretty impressive!

7. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    When Sergei was in Toronto he held a Masters Class on the Sunday at the Royal Conservatory of Music. I heard about it AFTER it was held. In fact, one of the other trumpets in my band, who studies at the ROC, had lunch with him!

Too bad that people can't find a way to highlight when some of these events are happening so others can attend!

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Manny.

Who are some of your Idols?...who were you listening to when you decided that Trumpet was the instrument for you?...mine were Maynard, Chuck, and Herb. Even now who do you listen to that just totally blows you away...I am not a pro but for all the flack he gets every time I listen to him I am blown away and that is Wynton. :D