serial numbers - why the xxxxs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trptlvr, Jan 11, 2012.

1. trptlvr

trptlvr New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    Toronto ON Canada
    Being a newbie to the forum, I'm a little confused by the number of times I see serial numbers that have 3 or 4 xs in them. Is this some kind of method of protecting something? Should I avoid posting full serial numbers from my horns? I did a search but didn't find an answer in FAQs. I originally posted my Cousenon with the serial number hoping that someone might be able to identify the model by the serial number.
    Best regards
    Trptlvr

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    It is not a big deal, just so nobody goes to the police and says that the horn was stolen and they have the full serial number to claim it. So use the X's while others dont. Not a big deal, until you get your horn taken by the police.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Didn't the Police take Chris Botti? Well at least Sting did.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Succinctly, Xs are used when stating a serial number solely as anti-theft security. Just the first three numbers are usually sufficient to determine vintage. IMO aside from vehicles and firearms the usage of serial numbers on other items is futile as there doesn't exist a state, national and international retrievable data base on such items. Obviously, there are a lot of unlawful back door, trunk, and street sales of these items, especially so now in electronics, cameras, and musical instruments.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't see how posting a serial number could be a problem unless it was on a used horn that you didn't buy originally. Suppose I tell the police I spotted that you have both my Olds Super Recording and my Mt. Vernon Bach Strad. Wouldn't I have to prove that I actually owned those horns and that they were stolen? (If not, then please post your serial number for those horns :-P )

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Steve, great horns to choose as an example!

coolerdave likes this.
  7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If you are talking horns for sale, it's for the buyer. There is NO reason for seller to list whole number, just enough for dating the instrument. The buyer on the other hand does not want the whole world to know the serial number of his new horn, especially on the internet these days.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You are welcome to have the police search all my properties and vehicles for such horns.
    They won't find them. Many smart criminals will flip such merchandise within 30 days or just trash them. However, I never have had an Olds Super or Bach Strad, Mt Vernon or otherwise, albeit I've two other horns on your list, one of which I purchased from unclaimed police recovery, and a bill of sale with serial # as provenance.

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    SGW lists full serial numbers on a lot of their horns. I buy it....I list full s/n when I resell....buyer googles s/n....heyyyyyy you got this at goodwill !!!!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Chuck, I've bought a few from SGW and likewise from others and administer a bill of sale either way, whether I'm buying from others or selling. SGW e-mails significant provenance to keep a buyer (me) happy, although I've pondered a few I've seen from them that had school origins plainly noted, mostly permanent marker on duct tape and even a bonded to the metal a school inventory tag. SA stores the same. Criminal dump ???