Serious Olds questions

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 24, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, I have come across two Olds horns and both are actually in my price range. One is definitely a Recording, which I know some about, and the other is referenced as a "Special" and has a rose brass bell. I think the Recording is the better looking of the two, but my main concern is if either of these horns could possibly be used for classical and orchestral work, or if they might be too bright, or whatever. I'm really kinda taken by the Recording and need to know pretty quick so the sooner on this the better.
    Michael

2. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Go with the Recording.......

Go to:
    www.oldscentral.com
    The Recording is awesome!! It is the Pro model in the Olds line....
    The Special is an "intermediate" line horn.
    I would go with the Recording, but you never know, the Special could be a better player. Make sure to play them both and make your own decision based on how they play...... 8)

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    It is really hard to beat a Recording!

1. Depending on the vintage of the horn, you know that the Special is a 2 piece bell (change in metal) but the Recording will be a 1 piece.

2. the full red brass (Re-O-Loy) bell will give a lovely warm tone.

3. Recording ... Recording ... etc

Check out http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds66/trumpets.htm to see where they all fit!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Get both. Play both. Pick one (if you can). Sell the other.

5. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Tootsall:

bigaggietrumpet->Texas A&M University->Monetary hemorage, so unfortunately, both is out. Thanks for the help, though, everyone.

*edit* By the way, the Recording is from the LA plant in 1953. That sound correct?

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

The Recording is your best bet IMHO.

The Special is a very open horn and I find it tends to be a bit bright. If you are looking at a Special, the rose brass bell is the bell flare only - the rest will be nickel silver unless it's a really old one, in which case the bell will be all yellow brass.

The Recording has a heavy weight bell that is entirely rose brass. It has a little more resistance than the Special (i.e., I find it to be more middle of the road in terms of resistance and the Special to be very much towards the very free-blowing end of the spectrum). I find either horn to be very quickly responsive.

Olds moved to Fullerton in 1955 so the Recording you are considering would indeed be a Los Angeles product.

I'm playing a Recording as my main horn. It took me a few days to get used to the feel but now I can't put it down.

Good Luck!

7. crazyhorns

crazyhorns New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    NJ/Philly
    Olds Recording

I owned a Recordinfg model for bout 2 months ... but just couldn't get with it. .... I am accustomed to giving a lot of air ... and the Recording model just didn't want to tke it. But I loved the sound... Sometimes I wish that I kept that horn ... and worked with it for a longer time..

Who were the guys that used this horn .. back in the day? Was it mainly big band guys...... soloists.... ???

~Steve Hyde~

8. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, this is urgent, on a good condition (clean, no major dents, good finish, valves and slides work) Recording, how much do they go for? I need to know pretty quick because I wanna make sure I don't get gyped. He wants around 950 right now, but I think I can get him to go 900. What is the resale value of the horn?

9. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Seems a little high to me BUT depends on your inspection of the horn. I'd say that $950 is what you'd should pay for a newly overhauled horn (No dents, Perfect finish??).

- if it has a nickle/silver leadpipe it is from the last number of years that they built them. It would also have laser engraving vs the older deep hand engraving
    [​IMG]

- check the depth of the bell engraving, can you read all the words
    Olds
    Recording
    Made By
    F.E. Olds & Sons
    Fullerton
    Calif.
    Like this one:
    [​IMG]

The ones with the hand engraving fetch a higher price. If the words are not clear it's been overhauled and buffed too much.

- check the inside of the leadpipe for any red rot or pitting

- pull and inspect the valves, should be bright

Serial number information is here: http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm plus lots of great Olds info.

Play it, Play it, Play it. And if it plays great don't worry about resale price!?

10. dmb

dmb New Friend

Nov 6, 2003
    This is regarding your questions about the Recording for $900. I've seen only a couple Recordings go for that much in the last few years that I've been watching them. It would have to be near-mint to mint condition. I sold one a year ago for $400 that was kind of rough but very functional. You can find them on ebay for around $400 to $700 just about any day. $900 is probably too much, but if you do buy it, it will last you forever. Good luck with a tough decision.

Dan Burton

ps, check these links:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...lotr=1&from=R10&sacategory=41395&BasicSearch=

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...tr=1&from=R10&category1=41395&completedonly=1

The first link is for current items, the second is for competed items. Hope this helps