serious problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eoinwalsh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh New Friend

Jun 8, 2008
    I have only been playing 2 and a half years so maybe problems like this are normal. but in the past, strange problems I have had have gone away within 2 weeks or so. but this particular problem doesn't seem to be fixing itself at all.

Up until recently I was able to play comfortably up to the F on the top line of the stave. But in the past month or so, my range has been decreasing and now it is a real struggle to play anything above D (the 2nd last line). I cant find any logical explanation for it as I haven't changed anything about my technique. My breath just seems to be not travelling through the trumpet. It is really pissing me off because it seems to be happening for no reason. I definitely have not been doing anything differently.

Any ideas?

2. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    take a couple days off, then begin practicing slowly doing long tones and slurrs. You are having a "dead lip" period. It happens to everyone. If you have been playing more than usual, it will happen. Its similar to a reliever in baseball being used too often. HIs velocity goes down for a while. Just take it easy for a bit and slowly build back up.:play:

3. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I agree. There are days when I play really well, and I'm really pleased with my playing, and days when I just want to do awful things to my horns. Some days my lips are great, and others they just aren't there. My teachers notice this, and have the same problems. Try taking some time off, then come back slowly and easily. I usually take a day off here or there, and then come back the next day feeling better, and the day after that feeling really well. As a student, I can't take too much time off, but there are other things that you can work on as practice without actually touching a horn. Working on transposition, transcriptions, and just listening to recordings are all great things to do regardless to whether or not you've got a horn in your hands. And other times, it's time to just put the trumpet and all related things down and go do something else.
    Best of luck
    ~Dave

4. ckallmyer

ckallmyer New Friend

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    hey dooder!
    just a thought--but have you cleaned your horn in the last two and a half years? I know folks who have forgot this important ritual, and found their "playing" to fall apart slowly until they clean their horns. Give it a rinse in the shower.

ALSO---be sure to relax like the guys have said. Your playing will reflect the state of your mind, so if you think that you are stuck, you will continue to play as such. Just take a day, and think some positive thoughts.

best of luck,
    -chris

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Watch the slides don't fall out when you fill the tubing with water - floor tiles leave nasty little dents. Been there - done that - felt really stupid.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    In the spirit of cleaning don't forget the mouthpiece. I have had this happen before and found that the mouthpiece needed a good cleaning. Looking through the mouthpiece may not be enough. Get a mouthpiece brush and clean it out with warm water running the brush through it. I have seen the time that I have had to run the mouthpiece brush through four or five times just to get it clean.

7. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh New Friend

Jun 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice. Although this time i'm not too sure taking a short break will solve things as the problem has been going on for over 3 weeks. Nevertheless I will try all suggestions.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The advice posted so far is very good. Do you have access to a good experienced trumpet teacher who has experience with diagnosing embochure problems? (Not all teachers know how to help with problems). It would be very worth while to get checked out. If nothing is wrong, at least it will give you piece of mind because I know that is on your mind.

Bob G

9. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh New Friend

Jun 8, 2008
    i'm not sure. I'll ask my trumpet teacher. thanks.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    eoin,
    the trumpet is out of metal so the only thing that could seriously change would be you - even if unconciously!

Losing range most often is caused by increased tension, so your lifestyle needs to be reviewed.

I don't know if you have a daily routine, if not, you need to get one consisting of:
    breathing exercizes, longtones with the mouthpiece and horn, easy lipslurs and some scales - all played very softly!

I generally start players with problems on long tones and slurs with no tonguing, just exhale through the horn. No high notes at all!!!!! That normally solves the issue after a week or 2.