SERIOUS Range Deterioration - I'd really appreciate any suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Jul 24, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes!!!! I so agree!!! Thanks for sharing as both Local and Vulgano comments are key. Now to maintain the endurance, I recommend massage. I have been doing this regularly for two months (as well as rotate in a single practice among 6-7 mouthpieces). During the other instrumentalists solos I massage my upper AND lower lips (thumb under inside of lip, finger on outside surface) and gently but firmly push reactive edema away, AND increase healing blood flow through into the area to remove excess lactic acid. This maintains what you have built up.

My endurance to finish a four hour gig, only to play another gig then next day has been saved by this technique. I no longer dread ending a four hour gig with Povo!

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Generally speaking avoidance of over training is the superior habit when compared to trying to maintain peak performance in the chops.

When straddling the edge of your physical limits you're much closer to the threshold of over training. Thus its almost better on some demanding gigs to only practice twice a week. Seriously!

The exception for this would be the purely technical gig. Say a "Carnival of Venice" articulation and interval drill. On these one simply must stay tuned up. You don't need the raw power of a lead gig just the fine points of typical classical technique.

But for pure commercial lead and R & B playing? I actually will play a little better if I'm only playing two to three times a week. get the mouthpiece to do as much work as possible. Then hang on for dear life...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I use the same method,massage after every gig, I also cool down my lips with Ice, it really helps.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't think any heavy activity should be done in a warmup. I used to do this with tennis, with hard serves before my arm was warmed up, and I paid a heavy price ... I had to play in pain for several years before I went to a physical therapist to fix the damage.

Save hard stuff for later in the "workout" session. Also a kind of massage can be had by loose lip flapping (the horse sound), which I do before and after every long practice.

Turtle