Setting too high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey TM, couple quick questions for ya. I've noticed that I may be setting the mouthpiece a tad lower on my embouchure (more of the bottom lip into the cup)
    I don't "bite" the rim, but I fear that I've become perhaps a tad too off-center in one direction.

1) my tone and technical skills have improved- in the low C to high C range. low B down to low F# are...iffy and a tad airy if a drastic embouchure shift is not used. More air perhaps?

2) I usually start off a day's practice with a 20 minute buzz (with keyboard for accuracy) then play exercise (Stamp, CDCGAGC down chromatically to F#,G#,C#,D#,C#,F#)- easy, no trouble at all.

the trouble- after around three or four 20 minute practice sessions, I CAN"T BUZZ A THING! I can play the same as usual, but mp buzzing is all air and no buzz. When resistance is added to the opening of the mp
    (i.e. my finger) a buzz-ish sound occurs. Could I be shifting to some form of "sympathetic buzzing" (Vizzuti-esque)?

Thanks!

1st trumpet BRHS wind ensemble
    1st trumpet BRHS marching band
    Studying with private instructor (out of town currently, which is why I"m here)

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That sounds like there is more at play than you think, how long will your private instructor be gone? If it is for a serious amount of time, ask if they recommend anyone for the emergency.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If the mpce does not buzz outside the horn, but it does play when inserted, and with a good tone....continue, all is well.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Lack of the ability to get a buzz? Definite sign of over training. I've never much been an advocate of mouthpiece buzzing even though its been getting popular for a while.

Various things can be the cause of over training. You can get the condition from too much blowing relative to your existing physical condition. Best to work slowly up to shape.

Mouthpiece depth and inner rim edge can set off over training. One could perhaps play four hours every day on a "soft" inner rim mouthpiece that isn't too deep. Yet on a sharp mouthpiece that is very deep more that one hour's worth of practice might be enough to throw you into a state of over training.

Also your recent embouchure adjustment* can set off over training more quickly. A mouthpiece placement change will throw different lip muscles into the game. These muscles aren't as used to the playing burden as before.

The embouchure muscles do not give us much notice when they shift into the state of over training.

*A mild change of mouthpiece placement is more of an embouchure adjustment. Not an embouchure change. There's a difference.

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I don't promote buzzing, I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I have the same thing as Vizzutti, I can just blow into my mpc, keep blowing, insert it in my horn and a note comes out. You can see Allen do it on youtube in his clinic ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVmo4FRWQk ).

A lot of (professional) players play a lot more up or down, it all depends on embouchure, I can't say something about yours, I don't know what it looks like, or how you play, it probably won't be much of a problem (Be aware of it though, and tell it to your teacher). I personally think just placing your lips on any place where it feels comfortable and a good tone comes out will do. The position is not important, the amount of air and pressure does the playing. That;s how I see it though, might (will) be different for a lot of other people, but it works for me.

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I've re-read your post several times to make sure I understand it and I am coming away with the perception you start each day with 20 minutes of buzzing. If that is correct, I feel that is excessive, especially if you are not taking breaks and letting your chops rest (roughly a 1:1 ratio of buzzing and resting, just like normal practice).

I buzz on a mouthpiece while driving each day, commuting to/from work. It is less about any perceived benefit and more about not being able to hold the horn while driving ( :-o ) and the simple fact I am addicted to playing. I might actually get 7-8 minutes of actual buzzing on a heavy day (depends what's on the radio), but that's never continuous.