Severe oil leak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    One of my trumpets leaks oil like crazy...three fingers on my left hand are nearly dripping with the stuff during practice. This is only on one of my horns. The others do not exhibit this phenom (thankfully!).

The oil appears to come from the very top of the seam at the bottom caps, but I'm not really sure as to the origin. It is not coming from the bottom of the caps where the hole is. All caps are snug and secure.

I have to keep a rag in hand to prevent myself from getting all oiled up.

Is this normal? Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Thread tape :dontknow:

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Hey, wipe down that valve and casing. Then only put 4 or 5 drops of valve oil and see what it does. It sounds weird and I've never encountered it myself. It's like where is all that oil coming from ???? Is it being passed on from the other 2 valves ? Weird.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why are you using so much oil that your hands can also be covered with it. The correct amount of oil is ONLY a THIN film to cover the surface of the valve and casing respectively - not enough to fill the gap between them!

My suggestion is less oil. Only excess oil can "run" away and there is no forced lube system for piston valves - yet.........:shhh:

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If it is leaking by the bottom cap threads it would come out the holes in them first. I suspect a leak in one of the knuckles. Put a rubber ball in the bell and immerse the horn in water with the receiver out. Add air pressure with your mouth and work the valves while looking for air bubbles.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This is the horn that was sent to Kanstul for repairs. A minimal amount of oil is used, 3 to 4 drops max. Perhaps even less should be used. This does not happen with any other horn I have.

It is a pain to carry a rag in my left hand all of the time!

Thanks for the advice.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a problem with the issue. If your hands are covered with oil and you are only putting a couple of drops on the valve, where is it coming from? I mean the horn can't pass on what you are not putting on it. I have never heard of an oils well disguised as a trumpet.

Dry the valves off completely and see what happens. Maybe it is moisture and not oil?

One thing to remember. Oil floats on water. The valves and casings need to be bone dry before applying oil. If not, there is no bond between the oil and metal and wear occurs.

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I have never heard of excessive oil leakage around the valve casings. Unless there is a crack or gap somewhere on the casing and to have enough to get your hands really oiled up means that there is too much applied. I have on occassion poured a tablepoon of oil down my leadpipe with mp inserted and blew on it to run it through the horn after a good cleaning just to coat the tubing walls. Even then, I never had any kind of leakage on any of my horns.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    OK, call me crazy if you will. But...this horn has had this problem since day one. My other trumpets do not exhibit leaks of this nature. I actually thought there may be a microscopic fracture somewhere that was allowing the oil/water mixture to leak out. It seems to originate at the #2 and #3 casing area. Perhaps it is just condensation that leaks out, but it is very oily condensate. It makes my left hand slippery, not comfortable at all.

In case I exaggerated, my left hand is not "dripping" wet, but is is continuously coated with a very oily, slick liquid. So much so that I keep rags on my chair to frequently wipe down and clean my hands.

I can't do anything with the horn for another 3 weeks. The folks at Kanstul applied lapping compound to the pistons and I have to play the horn for 40 hours before anything else is done. Can't even pull the valves out.

Of my 6 horns, this is the only one that does this. Go figure...

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Very interesting problem. I noticed that you dont specify which of your horns it is...wise decision. Just between me and you, I'l bet its not the Getzen. Best wishes.