Severe oil leak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Apr 4, 2012.

1. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It sounds like a valve casing leak. Otherwise, too much oil, plain and simple. If the valves are tight, you need to use the least viscosity oil you can find and merely 1-2 drops each valve. I'd wipe them all down, swab out the casing and get some ultrapure or hetman's oil. Try again.

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    My wifes' 1966 Benge 5X does this and it took me a while to find out what was happening. It has a very small leak on the bottom of the top 3rd valve slide right where it joins the valve assembly.The horn plays extremely well and I'm afraid to have it looked at, kind of afraid it may change how the horn plays. I use a very small amount of oil on the 3rd valve and this helps a little.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have one like this too - I have a rag for it, and accept that oil is cheap. C'est la vie.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To rephrase what Ted is saying here: "Oil's well that ends well".

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I think you owe me a keyboard and a monitor. Its early in the morning and I quietly sip my coffee and peruse trumpetmaster. I had a mouthful when I read this. The monitor, the keyboard and my shirt are now soaked. <geez>

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND I am sure if you add diary products to your coffee, you also creamed the monitor. But if you are a trumpet player, I am sure you do not add cream... That would be for viola players.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is the strangest thing I have read on this forum in a long time. I cannot imagine leaving lapping compound in place while playing the horn for weeks. I think it would be very wise to double check with them to make sure you understood their instructions.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think this is the best theory. I've played horns with a hairline crack where a slide tube joined the valve block and had the same symptom. It's not strictly valve oil, but a mixture of oil and water seeping through a crack that's usually too small to even see.

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    A simple pressure test of the horn can reveal if it has any cracks.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Maybe the OP can do one after his 40 hours of lapping are complete...:whistle: