Severely stuck slides / valve stem... HELP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by LH123, Jul 2, 2012.

1. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    I'm trying to free a valve stem that's stuck on the valve, also two slide ends (as in the dump slide of the third valve slides) that are severely stuck. I've had the parts soaking in a glass of PB Blaster, for six days now. I try to remove the parts every day, by twisting the valve stem and using a shoelace on the slides. They won't budge... what should I try next? (Or should I continue with the PB Blaster? Could it cause any damage over long periods of time?) I may end up bringing these parts to a tech... what methods would they use to free the parts?

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I would send it to a tech. I am now waiting for replacement parts on a main tuning slide, I was repairing for a student. I soaked the slide overnight, used heat and even put it in my ultrasonic in a tub of PB Blaster, figuring that the vibration would get down into the slide. After a week, I decided it was better to replace the leadpipe and tuning slide, then it was to try to continue with the repair and do more damage, which would require more time to repair. Sometimes there is too much oxidation involved. In this case, there was a dent on the receiver end of the leadpipe onto the main tuning slide. I figured that the previous owner had left the slide in for a number of years, prior to selling the horn.

If you have the training and the tools, you already would know what to do. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a great deal of money and aggravation by allowing a qualified tech do the repairs.

Gary

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Don't try anything. Bring the parts to a tech.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    At this point you have received great advice now heed it and go to a tech.

5. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    For sure, a tech is my next stop.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The techs use force tamed by years of doing it right. They will use heat, cold, acid, (rawhide)hammers and secret stuff that we could tell you, but would have to kill you afterward to keep it secret.

I think a working horn is better than death. Support your local tech.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    All it requires is judicious use of excessive force!

Bring it to your local tech.