Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Anyone here ever experience(d) sexism? I ask because I heard from my family members the most ignorant statement ever in my life: "You're too pretty to blow a trumpet." Now if that isn't sexist I don't know what is and I also heard "you're gonna mess your lips and jaws up" but when I observed my teacher, an older Black male, demonstrating what my Getzen sounds like beautifully played he has neither sagging jaws, Gillespie's pouches nor stretched lips. I refuse to believe the nonsense and I just want to to be happy and enjoy for myself the journey of playing trumpet as I accepted the moment I first attempted self teaching trumpet, which I quit, that I'm an adult beginner with attainable trumpet playing goals.

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well now. I know a couple of great gal players who've related to me similar experiences. In their cases family members as well. What does this teach us?
    2 things. We can choose our friends but sadly, not our family....and most importantly, recognize their patronizing ignorance for what it is and the hell with them! What do they know?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, you are from the South (me too) so it just ain't lady-like to be doin' sumthin' only a man's supposed to do! Just play the peeanee! ROFL

4. calihorn

calihorn Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    That's just nonsense. You can never be too pretty to blow a trumpet! lol ;-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ignore the ignorant and play on!!

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    "You're too pretty to blow a trumpet."

Correct answer to that statement should be:
    "Thank you very much my dear, I already know that, but I don't care.
    Why don't you play trumpet then?"

7. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Looks has nothing to do with sound, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
    If you're happy playing trumpet then continue to make a joyful noise! :cool:

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Sorry for your troubling experience........

I cannot say that I have experienced sexism, but here are my thoughts:

I think, and I have found, that sometimes family members feel that they can say things to relatives that perhaps they would not to a stranger or someone less close. That doesn't make it right (sometimes this is insight as to how someone really thinks!) but perhaps the individual actually thought that they were giving sound, loving, advice and do not see this as hurtful.

We all have prejudices and pre-conceived ideas that for some are difficult to see past or to overcome.

Keep on playing and ignore the negativity. I don't believe Alison Balsom has experienced any of those ill effects from playing the trumpet! :-)

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ok

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Looks like some of the women posted above are ok using sexism to market their skills.

If I posed like some of those it would not be pretty!

If you got it... then why not use it!

You can't keep creeps from being creepy. Let it go.