Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So . . . she had to clean the clothes, too?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She gutted and fileted deer??? Lardering 1 | bestpracticeguides

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Only after dumping venison grease on her clothing... Oh deer!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Been around and heard a few refer to laundry as "lardery" and have also seen it spelled "lawdry". It can be real comedy listening to some twixt and between them spitten' tobacco juice and taking a pull on their jug, and others "flyin' as high as a kite on whatever". One must be an able and versatile linquist to understand the meaning in context of which something is said or written. Now I didn't say I was such ... make a note of that, better yet, give me a C note ...... and I'll play it as a Bb on my trumpet.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    More likely blood, but when she did the hogs, she wore a rubber raincoat and gum boots. I think the same I too wore later. At that time my job was to douse the hogs in boiling water and scrape their bristles off ... and to tend the fire. All I can say is a swim in the creek when I was done was essential to my well being.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    been there, done that Ed --- I was the chief "gut bag holder" when MY Dad and uncle had a big pig farm, and needed meat for the winter. Along with being "chief gut-bag holder", I was also a fire keeper, and the "Bristle Scraper" as they say. sounds like a great job, and important!!! ---- oh, well, that was years ago! and we did most of that in the fall when it was cold ---- NOT a great time to dip in the creek, but perhaps a good time, as the "odoriferous" moments were slightly dulled in the coolness of the fall air!!!!!

8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Yes, sexism is rife in the brass world. I experienced enough of it coming up through Jr. High and High School in the 70's. "Pretty good for a girl" was answered with, "Oh yeah, then what's your excuse?". Either the attitudes have eased or I have ceased to care about them. Most guys won't dare to make any kind of comment to my face, either, as I am a black belt in Okinawan martial arts LOL. But it is still there and and still an undercurrent. I think it has to do with the ego involved in playing trumpet and doing it well. You have to have some kind of diva lurking in your soul to want to do it. As to ruining your face, as long as you use the proper technique (not puffing your cheeks like Dizzy) I find that playing a wind instrument in general tends to keep the facial muscles firm and toned, thus keeping one younger looking longer. Ignorance and just plain not thinking make people say really stupid stuff. Rise above it and do what you love. Those comments will fade into the dust the first time someone comes up to you with their eyes shining and says, "You play so beautifully. Thank you." Especially if it comes from the mouth of a little girl who adds "I play trumpet in school, too." Been there, done all that. I think one of the best moments was last fall when our principle trumpet in the concert band had been sick before the concert and stepped down from first chair. Myself and a gentleman who usually plays third stepped in and covered. When our guy showed up for the concert, he was pale and sweaty and looked like he was going to pass out at any minute. When asked whether he wanted us to save him or his horn (1946 Martin Committee) he replied that we were to save his horn and then we could do chest compressions, but no mouth to mouth. He didn't want to wake up with any of us slobbering all over him. At that point, I realized that he had accepted me as one of the "guys".

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    BachStrad1, good points here. Here is the problem as I see it: Everyone has the perspective that comes from within their own viewpoint, which is by no means totally objective! See what I mean? So with that being said, I think from my perspective, I did not see any sexism, because I didn't treat women with that attitude, nor did I think I had it in my own heart. So here we have the dilemma, we could see facts and figures, opinions, of which many are expressed here on this forum, but until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, how can we know? Anyway, if it's of any consolation, you won't get any remarks from me except, "Nice playing", or rough session, having a bad day, huh? Something that is gender free, see?

10. Cas

Cas New Friend

Oct 26, 2012
    I am currently a high school trumpet player (yes, I am a female) and I am 1st chair in my section. Do I experience sexism? Yeah I do. Some automatically think that because I am a 5'3" girl that I can not play or can't play as loud as the over 6ft senior guys who play. I ignore this, because when I play, they all shut up. So my advice would be to ignore it, keep playing, and don't let it hold you back.