Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As a comeback player I was introduced to bands that essentially consisted of high school musicians. Those I have overwhelmingly enjoyed playing beside were the girls - not quite all of them, but most of them - I suspect it is both attitudinal on my part - being a 50 yo comebacker (then), and attitudinal on their part, because I have yet to meet a female trumpet player who insists on knocking it up an octave in the last bar - regardless of the style of music - I sincerely dislike unnecessary screamin' - and I reckon the girls smell nicer. But what would a 61 yo comeback 3rd chair Harrelson Bravura player know?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't know -- what a Harrelson player would know ---- but I kind of like the "female" trumpet players --- MOSTLY BECAUSE they can count the rests for me!!! women are notoriously good at "balance", and that is why you see the "balance beam" in gymnastics, and you see the "strength" element of the rings and the pommel horse in MENS gymnastics ---- although, it is my feeling that WOMEN add balance to the trumpet, and music in general -----------------------OH, MY, I am almost agreeing with the Harrelson player, in that women tend to NOT have the traditional TRUMPET PLAYER MACHO ATTITUDE that us guys have --- so they add BALANCE. --------------but alas, when any women is given a solo in the band, and the guys next to me get frustrated ((because it's a WOMAN)) getting a solo ----- I simply say, I'M KINGTRUMPET, and watch this, I can play that solo an OCTAVE HIGHER!!! ------ men and women sometimes get annoyed with me --- even on TM!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Only when you speak, KT, only when you speak...........

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... oh, and sometimes when you write. :D

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    .. yeah ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ............. yeah ROFL ROFL ............... yeah ROFL ROFL ................. yeah ROFL ROFL

here - "Hey It's a TED" ---- have some LUV, ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuu88OwdK8

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course, since you are YOUNGER than "Hey, It's a Ted" --- I wanted to USHER you into the next era of your life -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

Usher-Yeah - YouTube

8. Cas

Cas New Friend

Oct 26, 2012
    Or Kt, girls do have the traditional "TRUMPET PLAYER MACHO ATTITUDE", get the solo, and all you guys get really scared.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I personally think the chics in my trumpet section are kind of sexy playing a solo ~ Of course I am watching their technique and their breathing and their lips ~ so sexy is really a good word when chics play a trumpet solo

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Here is what Jeanne Pocius said about sexism in the trumpet world (from http://abel.hive.no/trompet/jeanne/interview.html):

Women and trumpet

as a woman trumpet player have you met any prejudices

Yes, quite frankly there are those who cannot believe their ears, and will not hire me, or will hire me only as a second or third trumpet player (particularly in commercial gigs) because of my gender....

On the other hand, there are also those who make snide remarks about my sexual preferences and insinuate that I must be a lesbian because she plays the trumpet, which everyone knows is a masculine instrument

For the record: my sexuality has NOTHING to do with my trumpet playing... In fact, some of my colleagues joke about my having more testosterone than they do because of the power and high range which I can produce....

I do not believe that gender, sexual preference, nationality or any other difference has anything concrete to do with artistic effort, unless it affects one's attitude adversely(by which I mean that if YOU _believe_ that you are limited by any factor, then you will be limited....Otoh, I also believe that, if you fail to acknowledge any limitations, you will exceed any expectations you, or others for that matter, might have had).

have things changed in recent years

If anything, things may have gotten a bit worse, because before people used to be more open about their reasons for not hiring you or not giving you your due, and now they tend to make up all sorts of other reasons(like, for example, Oh, no, I like his style of lead-playing better than yours or He studied with different teachers than yours or something similarly inane)...

are girls more after the "money notes" than boys

I think any female trumpet player has to recognize that she has to be able to play 50% better than a male trumpet(at least) if she is going to get the job....

This applies whether she is playing in a school group, a community group, or professionally....

If she is on an even keel with a male trumpeter, he will most likely get the call, like it or not....

The key is to be the finest player you can be, then the jobs will come (it is a source of great delight for me to turn down jobs from contractors who wouldn't hire me in the past but want to now because they've heard from others how well I play.... and mostly I turn them down because of working for the contractors who've hired me right along <G>)