Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Chuck--I wanna play in your band!!!!

2. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese New Friend

Nov 6, 2012
    pbbbbbt. Same woman from the last picture above on youtube here. Doesn't seem to have done anything to her face, and I bet she's played more than a lot of people here. Besides, at the risk of sounding sexist myself, women are MORE attractive when they can play trumpet! (or do anything in particular well, which I'm sure goes the same for guys, so maybe not so sexist after all).

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    You forgot the include flugelgirl in there.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my wife is a very pretty lady and an excellent trumpet player [playing Napoli by her sophmore year] and she has faced problems since high school. she no longer plays except for church now and then because of comments she has had to face. it had gotten easier for her starting about 15 yrs ago but time had taken its' toll she no longer really cares to play anymore. to a lot of people the brass family is a male endevor and the female should play reeds. hang in there and pursue what you enjoy.

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Back to the thread before it becomes a "hey, look at this pretty lady..."

One of the best people I've ever personally played with was female. She was only in the HS band for a few months before she left—to attend Juliard. I probably improved in those months more than any other period during high school, just because I had somebody to compete with and trade notes with.

Also, we had a girl who played Euphonium. While people did like jacking their jaws around her, she typically left them hanging wide open without a single sound when she started playing.

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    The girl on the bottom is our own Tine Thing Helset who is "the Norwegian trumpeter"
    at present together with Ole Edvard Antonsen.
    She is just as nice as a person as she is as trumpet player.

If 2% of us could play 50% of what she does, we wouldn't sit here in front of a computer.
    We would be out, playing gigs, earning money.....

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
  8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Tine Thing Helseth

About • Tine Thing Helseth

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    The same idiots probably see a man playing flute or knitting and automatically assume he's gay. It's a shame when people put others (and themselves) in boxes. I deal with this in my day job in the computer software world too. The best way i know how to be a feminist is to be confident and competent and leave 'em eating your dust!

10. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Ok, be honest. Do you really think your family doesn't want you to be happy? Or do you think they just aren't accustomed to seeing a woman play a brass instrument? Do you really think they believe you have no right to play trumpet? (Now that would qualify as true sexism.). Would you feel better if they said "That's great because you're too ugly to be a constitutional lawyer"? You clearly have some insecurity about playing trumpet. Why? There's no need to. Unless you believe your family is totally serious and wants you to stop playing, you need to get over it and respond with (nice) humor and take their comments in the best possible light (as a very important book tells us to). Have they heard you play? That might win them over. If you feel you aren't good enough to play in front of them, don't; yet. That's okay. Doing so before it's time could do more harm than good. But listen: The popularly accepted concept of feminism and the behavior of many feminists does more harm than good for the ideals of feminism. Are they seeking equal opportunity? Or total androgyny? Don't let anyone make you think that you need to fight all the time. Now if someone suggests that you are incapable of playing trumpet simply because you are a woman, different story. If they suggest it simply because you suck at it (like many of us), then suck it up and get better.