Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What was the question??? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I nominate for post of the year (wait, is that sexist?)!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Woe is me ...... I'll never be too pretty to play trumpet ...... [​IMG]

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I've said this before, but one of the best trumpet players at my college was female, and I've known several other top-notch players who were also members of that gender....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, as a guy in my community band, I have experienced sexism (or reverse sexism, if you want to call it that) --- you know the 3rd trumpets finally get a solo in a wonderful piece of music. ON that particular day at practice ole KT here was the only 3rd trumpet player - so I got to play the solo. I DID AN AWESOME JOB (hey it only went from the low Bb to the G on top of the staff) ----- but nonetheless, I was spot on. Then during a break in the practice, the conductor comes up and says '"hey KT, I was thinking that If you aren't too uncomfortable with this, I would like to give the solo to someone else, I mean you did it perfect but" ----so, KT here was thinking with 14 trumpet players in the band, that maybe the conductor wanted the pros (we got like 3 of them in the 1st trumpet section) -- to do the solo. so I agreed!! -- then he says, good, I want to give it to (this chic) -- and KT, instantly thought, what the heck is wrong with you MAN. and the chic, had a few blurbs in the following practice, but hey --- why NOT --so KT encourages her and says -- play from the gut, good air support, have confidence, play it like you mean it and such ------ to which she responded in the concert, and pulled of the solo very elegantly!!!! ---- so yeah, me a guy, can't help but think the CHIC was rewarded and given a solo!!!! but, hey, I am just another guy who plays trumpet -- so maybe my thinking is SEXIST in iteself!!!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    KT - you sir know that the collective outcome is much more important than our individual egos. I understand that you have been hurt, and my heart bleeds for you old mate, but breathe, let it go, chill, grow old with charm and grace. I bet "the Chic" doesn't have your sense of humour - or your best bud GM?

6. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Baldersash (Whatever that is!). I have a daughter and 2 grand daughters that play trumpet. They never wanted to do any other instrument. All three were, or is, a first chair player in HS. We are southerners.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you could have responded with "I know you are but what am I" ...... well it worked in grade school

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I finished a gig at a wedding reception and was bending over to put my horns in my case when I got my bum pinched from behind. I turned around and there was the bride with her hand on my pride. She said, "I just couldn't resist". I said for another $20 you can pinch the other cheek. She pinched a little more than I bargand for but I walked off with an extra $100 in my pocket. That wasn't the only extra I had in my pocket as I recall. Hows that for reverse sexism.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Which is one hell of a sense of humour... and in just a pinch!

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Well at least that story had a happy ending......:-o