Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here are mine: [​IMG]

2. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Advise your family that you PLAY a trumpet; you don't BLOW it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks so much for the talent of putting these clean thoughts into perspective. This helps wash away the grief I was subjected to and allows my self esteem to shine.

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In HS (late 80's) I was 2nd chair to a senior my sophmore year. Our 1st and 3rd chair trumpet players were both female and were excellent trumpet players. I still stay in touch with them to this day but they no longer play being working moms and all. The first chair was not so spectacular to look at but had a great personality, always positive and she is the one who recruited me into Jazz and taught me how to improv. She drilled me with memorizing every freaking scale written. Then, after about four months, we had a fun jam session and she said looked at me after blowing away all the other trumpet player telling me to take the lead. For the first time ever, a light turned on in my head that I had never known before. The 4 beat per bar and scale structure simply made sense along with the modulated changes moving up or down. So that was the first chair, our 3rd chair was a gorgeous Latina girl who's older brother is a great Marichi player named David Renteria. Her playing skills were great and had the best articulation of all our trumpet line. She taught me how important it was to completely and quickly depress the valves when going through passages. Then, she showed me how to double tongue while going up and down scales. Timing and lots of practice later I finally had it. Great girls with lots to offer.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Dave, I've been playing a little over 30 years, and have actually encountered very little sexism. One of my college teachers had problems understanding why I wasn't a feminist, and I replied because I don't need to! The ultimate goal of the work of past feminists was so that I could live life normally, and so I will until I feel the need to fight. He liked that answer a lot :)

6. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    OMG!!! How do I do "Like" x 100 ??!!!!! This is exactly what I was trying to convey. "Fight" when it is truly necessary, which is less frequently than when you're right. BTW, Flugelgirl, your statement makes you the SEXIEST woman I (don't) know. Does that make me sexist?

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Of course flugelygirl is sexy!! Read a few of her posts and you cannot miss it! (I mean Ms it!) The sexiest things we have are words!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I beleive it's Mrs. it! (not to appear sexist)

I mean, Miss. Ms. Mrs. when it's just Mr. I mean this is sexism.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well now. Not to delve into base details but when addressing women I always insist they call me as frequently as they can, rather than Mr.....

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GEE old mate old buddy, I thought I did a fine job -- encouraging her and giving her tips on how to be confident and use her air --- the other part of this is that (one of the other trumpeters that sits next to me WANTED TO FIGHT FOR THE SOLO that I apparently GAVE AWAY!!! ---- now that guy, I simply explained a few things to him. saying -- DUDE, I know what I can play and what I can't play -- I don't need to prove anything, or fight for any solo ------NOW that guy, he listened to me, but in the meantime he missed a couple of practices and a concert (apparently so he could digest the facts -- AND AGREE WITH KT here. I was merely pointing out that SEXISM (although mostly against women) -- is sometimes turned around towards GUYS ------- and I tried to explain, that I TOOK THE HIGHER ROAD AND ENCOURAGED THE CHIC TO DO HER BEST ----YEAH, that is what I did --- AFTER ALL, I AM KT ---- and everybody loves me!!!!!!!