Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is from my experience such a true and interesting perspective. Of interest, Eddie Brookshire, but quintet leader, is African American, originally from Mississippi, were he experienced much racism over the earlier part of his 71 year experience on this earth. He knows a lot of history related to this and the history of racism in jazz. As it turns out, the black jazz musicians uniform required to play in the white man’s world had them wearing tuxes or suits on the job. While stemming from racist beginning, this also proves to be the historical roots of jazz. To this day, Eddie requires us to wear suits or tuxes on gigs to keep in line with the roots from which jazz was created. The roots of racism. It is a humbling reminder we display every time our band performs.

2. Dr Colin Bloch

Dr Colin Bloch New Friend

Dec 12, 2012
    United Kingdom
    It may not be sexism, and it may not be ignorance, but rather a societal attitude that assigns to some instruments and activities an assumption of gender, which then becomes part of the assumed character of the instrument. Thus men harpists and flautists are less usual; as are women conductors and organists. Outside of music, we may also ask why football managers, priests, urologists, generals, train drivers, miners and popes are usually men.

Just don't use these norms as a reason to play less well, or to give up. It probably doesn't matter at all.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Bottom line ... these people probably have drivers licences and are on the road behind the wheel of a car.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And raising like-minded offspring, sadly. Good point, Dave.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahhh, the nub of it after all ................. beware of those who walk among us, whomsoever they be.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ain't that the truth, Ted. To what you stated I'd add, "and whatsoever they be." I always liked the statement I once heard, "There is a propensity for evil as is why we have churches, temples, synagogues, mosques and law enforcement."

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well now, most, if not all trumpet blowers I know, male and female alike have very strong egos. Sure, criticism can make a dent, maybe even hurt, especially from some stupid, misguided "family member". But nothing promotes self-confidence like the accomplishment of playing our best.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, but when the family member only plays a woodwind --- what differes should it make what they say?? ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    True that. I had a cousin who was real pr*ck. always had to make the most patronizing, demeaning statements. Jealousy no doubt. I finally told him he could tootle my skinflute for all I cared....

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee, I say much nicer things about drummers and turkey dinners and such --- while I am asking them where they want me to put the drumstick??? ROFL ROFL ROFL