Sexism

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Last time I had my outlaws( I mean in laws) over for thanksgiving I wanted to say to my mother in law"please pass the potatoes", what actually came out was "you arrogant, shriveled tart, keep your diseased vapourings to yourself, you jealous harridan"........

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey!! are we related???? this sounds like my family!!! -- at least the ones of us who still talk to one another!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Personally, it makes a big difference because I taught my daughter to play the woodwinds when she liked Boots Randolf's Yakety Sax so much. The song was a theme of a clown show she fervently watched on TV. When she got past my ability on them, I drove her to a good tutor. Although, she now has and plays them all from flute to baritone, she never played in high school, college or wants to be a pro.

She was so happy that I subsequently resumed playing the brass.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    There are many times I think the English language has far more words than are really necessary. This is one of those times. My opinion of course, in all due respect, no offense intended, Ed.:cool:

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Your self esteem needs no shining there, Doc. It is pretty shiny from where I sit, and it should be.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as is your use of the English language Ed, it is quite BEAUTIFUL, as they say here, I suppose they say your use of the English language is of the utmost pulchritude down south -- either way it is all good, even if the guy from NJ doesn't have a dictionary handy ---my goodness you think THAT guy would be proficient at the English language, being an editor for GM (gmonady). go figure!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes, KT. Succinct point made, but my submission was in reference to the extremely sparse use of a term, where another would suffice. I make the analogy of something you have had in the attic for 35 years, and never used it, it may be time to toss it.
    Ha, ha. That's what I meant. And, we have thick skin here in Jersey land. We don't go down easy. And another suggestion, KT, you might have wanted to rather said "pulchritudinous" instead of utmost pulchritude, but it's your choice, no problem.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Before you'all knash your teeth and reach for ... I'll admit I'm an addict to Roget's Thesaurus and have been since the USAF shoved a course in lexicology among the trivia in my head, then it got worse when I returned to college. Still, I deem it better than a lot of jargon and vernacular I've heard on the streets.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So KT, when did you get married? And I didn't even get the announcement! I'm sad... so very sad...

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, s/he had all the pulchritudinal assets liked by the opposite gender (in these days ... well in these days ...). Yes, many words slip away archaically.

I had an aged college professor in whose English composition class, I wrote that my Mother also went "lardering"after she had been to the beauty salon. He loved my flip of "grocery shopping" as it was distinctively accurate as to what she had done and the purpose of doing it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013