Seymour Rosenfeld

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by wiseone2, Mar 8, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Seymour Rosenfeld has died. He was a superhuman second trumpet player.

R.I.P.

Wilmer

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I'm sorry to hear that Wilmer. From what I have read about him, and hearing him on recordings, he was indeed a fine player. I also believe he was another of the "Bb trumpet" players for his whole career?

Mike

3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    He was a Bb guy. Seymour played a Besson/Bach Frankenhorn.

I bought my first Bach Bb from Seymour, it was a beauty.

He was a gem.

Wilmer

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    i met him once in little rock & had a long backstage talk with him. it was lots of fun. some of us college guys talked a little of the usual shop about equipment & mpcs.
    he pulled an old mouthpiece with a plastic screw rim out of his pocket & told us that was what he had just played the concert on we had attended.
    i've never worried about mouthpiece gurus knowing any secrets since. :-)
    he was real nice. sorry to say i thought he had been gone a long time already.

dj

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My first screw-rim mouthpiece was a Bach 1 Lucite rim on a C cup. Did any non Philadelphian play those Lucite rims? Sam Krauss was my teacher at the time. Sam swore by them.

Wilmer

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Wilmer,

I'm sorry for your loss.

I do consider it a personal loss because I know what the losing a member of the veteran squad of legendary figures means for players of our generation.

I never got to meet Seymour but have always heard such great things about him and the evidence of his musicianship is available on thoses wonderful Philly recordings with Ormandy, principally. He belongs to that cadre of second players with Bb trumpets that have passed on like Dave Zauder from Cleveland and Nat Prager from the Philharmonic. I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out

I envy your having gotten to know him and encourage the young players who never heard his recordings to find some Philly/Ormandy records and have a listen. I think he would have liked that, to know that a new generation was checking those old sounds out.

ML

7. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Jimmy Smith used to talk fondly about Seymour. Evidently they grew up together. They were the same type of guys and similiar players.

Larry Malin

8. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    I thought this was a little coincidental: IU gave a Gabrieli concert to honor the famous recording the evening that Seymour Rosenfeld died. The ensemble - which had been rehearsing for a few weeks - consisted of both faculty and students, with each person representing someone from one of the three original brass sections. Before the second half, it was announced that he had passed away earlier that day and a moment of silence was observed in his honor. May he rest in peace.

9. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Having been brought up in smaller cities, and in days when orchestras still occasionally toured the boonies, it happened that the very first orchestra above the level of a community group I ever heard live was the Philadelphia. I was 15, I think, and heard them in an acoustically very nice 1500-seat auditorium. I learned several things that night, including how lousy I was on the trumpet, how thrilling live music could be, and just what "world class" standards meant--both an eye and ear opening artistic and life orienting experience.

The program had a bit of brass to it, with Ormandy on baton: Stravinsky Fireworks, Rach. 3rd Symphony, and after intermission, Pictures at an Exhibition! How's that for your first "real" orchestra concert!

Obviously I was hearing Seymour Rosenfeld, Gil Johnson, Mason Jones and those guys wail, though I didn't know the names yet. Mr. Rosenfeld and the others could never fully know the whole extent of their effect and influence on others just through their performances, but I hope they sensed it and got much satisfaction on that level from their very special, if not particularly materially rewarding careers.

It all makes me think that the recognition and reward of true excellence reflects the highest level of civilization--and that people like Seymour Rosenfeld deserved to be remembered as real heroes.