Shakes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hello,

Does anyone have any lead on how to do a shake? It sounds mad but I'm finding really hard to do.

Thanks

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    It's probably several methodes, but I use the thumb under the lead pipe (close to the reciver) to phus the horn upwards. I also increase the preasure a little.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Do a search here on TM. A lot of opinions and a few videos.

Wilmer Wise says it best, "It called a shake, shake the horn".

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Lots of espesso should do it. :cool: Work on lip slurs. Start slow then pick-up the tempo as you get cleaner. Some of the coolest shakes I've heard/done are also slow! It takes time, patience and yes, practice. OR, you can just use your hands and move the horn back and forth (in/out) on your lips. You have less control and have to be careful to not lose the seal or it sounds really bad.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Listen to the end of "Handbags and Gladrags" by Bill Chase for a few other flavors. He did those with the tongue and airstream.

Check out Nick...
    Flexibility and Trills - YouTube

7. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    In addition to practicing lip trills slower at first (with metronome) and working up to speed, I offer these tidbits:

1. Keep the air moving! Without keeping up the airstream intensity, no lip trill in the upper register will work.
    2. I keep my lips fairly "loose,", not locking on any one note. Again, air, lip, tongue, (and, in my case, a bit of jaw) go into this. My jaw shouldn't be moving, but I learned this way , and I can get a great "shake" in pretty much any range.
    3. As you get higher in pitch, the lip trill will be easier.
    4. Try a French Horn and use your tongue only - say "oooeeeoooeeoooee" and the horn should trill. It's almost too easy on a French Horn. This will give you the feel of what a true lip trill should feel like.

Just my 2 cents...

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I favor Wilmer's wisdom on this topic as it is the only way I can produce the proper sound, and I'm still not very accomplished at doing so. Maybe more expresso...:-P

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Remember that a shake and a lip trill are two different type of embellishments

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    To shake? Just forget to take your morning drink...