Shakiness + Air leak = Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YoJoon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. YoJoon

YoJoon New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi there!

I've been experiencing quite a bit of shaking in my lips when I play for a couple of months. The corners of my mouth will shake, and no matter how hard I try, I can not control it. I'm a bit worried that it might be something serious.
    Can anyone suggest anything to do?

Thanks. :)

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You might be trying too hard.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would be working on long tones held as absolutely steady as possible. It sounds like, from your description, that you are suffering from rather weak corners.

4. YoJoon

YoJoon New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    Haha, or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A couple of months!! You need to rest more.

Seriously, rest as much as you play. Practice playing as softly as you can.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    10 years ago I was playing a concert and this happened to me for the first time(I was already playing for 30 years). I went to a doctor and she checked my blood pressure under stress. It was over 200/150. I got put on medication (not beta blockers) and started the search for the trigger. It turns out that I had sleep apnea and when you stop breathing, your body goes into panic mode. I got a CPAP/APAP maschine and have used it ever since instead of pills. No issues.

Go to a doctor and get a checkup. It doesn't hurt and a negative result means that at least you are healthy and the problem lays elsewhere.

8. YoJoon

YoJoon New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    I think I do rest as much as I play. I know my limits and I try not to go over them as much as possible. I'd really love to take a rest for a few weeks, but unfortunately that's not possible due to school and music camp. But I did take a week off at the beginning of July, but it did not help much.

Also, if this information helps, I switched mouthpieces three weeks ago. But the mouthpiece switch was not the problem since this problem occurred on my old mouthpiece as well.

9. YoJoon

YoJoon New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    Hmm, my family DOES have a history of hypertension... the thought never occurred to me that this could be a problem!
    Keep the suggestions coming! :)

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    How is the stability of your intonation and volume? I noticed that in many of his youtube recordings that the fantastic trumpeter Maurice Andre also had a pronounced lip shake. It didn't seem to alter the perfection of his performance. This shake was noticed most in his performance of a Bach fugue wherein he plays a duet with his daughter, with Maurice on piccolo trumpet and his daughter on oboe. Check it out. You just might get over your worry about this.

OLDLOU>>