Sharp high G?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Manny,

Quick question for you:

I've played two Monette C trumpets now: an STC1 (SN 16XX) and a 2000LT (SN 17XX), and on both my high g (above the staff) is sharp. I guess I'm not using efficiency while I'm playing, but it's weird that note is the only one that shows it. The A is very centered.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It sounds to me as though the horn doesn't have the bottom valve caps well-adjusted. That usually takes care of it and the horn is designed to have that fine-tuning feature.

It requires your ability to really blow in the center of each note without adjusting but getting the real center of the sound an then making a relatively quick crescendo so you can hear if it goes sharp, flat, or stays in tune throughout the crescendo. Also, if you're tight at all, you'll get that sharp pitch. Chin down, throat open and go for the clearest sound you can. It shouldn't be sharp. They're too damned expensive to play out of tune!

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Haha! That they are! I was playing a rehearsal today, and it was much better. I think that I'm too used to playing my Bach C trpt now, and adjust that high G-C range. I'm sitting down more on the notes now.

Also, Tom Ranney told me that the reason I was sharp on the Balio C that I played was that the horn was made shorter than normal. That didn't help matters!

Thanks Manny!

P.S. I just ordered the C1-1S5 "Slap". Can't wait to try it out!