Shattering a Wine Glass with the Sound of a Trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Dec 11, 2007.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Can the un-amplified sound of a New York Trumpet Company Stage 1 California Light model Bb trumpet break this wine glass? Believe it! ;-)

OK, this is sheer dumb fun, but after class today I had some time to kill in my lab while some kids were working on some homework. I found this cheap wine glass and decided to see if I could break it by just blasting away at it, and I'll be darned if I didn't do it! I had brought my video camera for some other stuff, and just set it up on a lark. So, this is just some dumb fun with forced resonance. I usually use a speaker and a function generator to do this, but never again! I'll do it this way from here on out!

Go to Nick Drozdoff :: Home, hit the Online Lessons page and scroll to the very bottom of the videos. This is a little over a two minute clip. The glass was ringing at about a middle G concert. It was a little flat, so at one point I had to pull the slide. Now, there is a cut there, as I cussed out the glass under my breath and I didn't want to offend innocent ears, so the cut is a bit sudden. All I did was pull my tuning slide a bit, believe me.

Enjoy.

Peace.

Nick

MJ likes this.
  2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Cool! Did your bell touch the glass? Would that even matter?

Jason.

3. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Nice collection of videos there Nick!

4. westhorn

westhorn New Friend

Oct 25, 2007
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    That's very cool!

Makes me think the next time I am at a dinner party and it gets a bit boring, I might just pop into the kitchen and, very discretely, give it a go.

***Now*** I know why I should've bought that pocket trumpet!

Cheers
    Chris

5. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    awesome!
    :laughwave:

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

No, I didn't touch the glass, but I was REAL close. You can hear the "wa" when it pops, like a plunger being pulled out.

Man, I've played with Maynard. I've played with cats from the CSO. I've played with everyone from the Tempations to the Ojays to Dennis DeYOung of Styx. I've even played on a tune that wone the WAMIA award for best jazz tune of 2007. However, this all pales by comparison to breakn' stuff with my axe - WIHTOUT just knocking it off the desk! ;-)

Once my wife caught me testing this idea with the GOOD crystal. I had this theory that it would be SOOO easy, so I just played at it a little. She walked in and caught me. MAN, did I catch it BIG TIME! At the time, I thought the crystal would be both too resilient and have too high a Q for me to get it to go, but I'm not so sure of that now. I'm glad I didn't really push it.

Have fun!

Nick

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    great series of videos other than that one! very helpful!

8. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Hahaha... I noticed how once you break the glass, your so excited that you put your horn down... ON THE SECOND VALVE SLIDE???? you've got some 'splaining to do haha.. Just kidding. That was awesome though, the only time I've ever seen glass break from sound was on the mythbusters episode.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's awesome Nick. Really great stuff as always!

Best,
    t

10. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    That was cool, Nick. I think I need to run out and pick some some cheap wine glasses. This is going to be fun.

pat